• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Just finished reading The New Rulers of the World by John Pilger

RobertFKennedy

A fascinating, thought provoking book by a talented journalist with a true social conscience.

I'd recommend it to anyone. There are some unbelievable facts in there.

John Pilger is one of the world's renowed investigative journalists and documentary film-makers. In this fully updated collection, he reveals the secrets and illusions of modern imperialism. Beginning with Indonesia, he showns how General Suharto's bloody seizure of power in the 1960s was part of a western design to impose a "global economy" on Asia. A million Indonesians died as the price for being the World Bank's "model pupil". In a shocking chapter on Iraq, he allows us to understand the true nature of the West's war against the people of that country. And he dissects, piece by piece, the propaganda of the "war on terror" to expose its Orwellian truth. Finally, he looks behind the picture postcard of his homeland, Australia, to illuminate an enduring legacy of imperialism, the subjugation of the First Australians.
Sounds like a book about things we already know.

RobertFKennedy said:
does it???
Yes. The Iraq thing is probably something about oil and the war on terror is a big scare. Nothing shocking about that. Just another bunch of conspiracy theories and things you already know from good docus.

have you ever heard the phrase "dont judge a book by its cover?"

you havent read the book so I dont know where your going with this.

I read the back flip & some book reviews and therefor I said it "sounds" like a book about things we already know. You asked me a question and I answered it. And yes I do judge books by their back side summaries.

It's just my opinion if you don't go along with it, ignore it.

I am a big Pilger fan, I do enjoy his columns and regularly read them when they are featured on the antiwar website. I also enjoy how he utilizes facts and official documents to back up his claims, something that a lot of other commentators fail to do so adequately IMHO. Yes, it isn't too teribly hard to figure out where he and say, Noam Chomsky lie on the political spectrum, but they are still nevertheless, compelling writers who do a magnificent job of providing sharp evidence to whatever issue they are writing about.

Back