• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Just published.

Frodo_Potter

Hello I'm a just recently published writer, I published a new book through lulu.com Called Sam, its about this boy, named Sam of course, who goes to a new school and he's having a hard time making friends, he feels out of place. Untill one day they have show and tell, and I defiantly recommend it, you'll love reading to your kids and those that have kids that can read now and want to read new things can read it too. So if your looking for a good book to read, then buy Sam, its a good one and you can pass it on to generations.

Yes you do have to sign up at lulu.com, to purchase it. But its a good book, I really recommend it.

http://www.lulu.com/content/137097

Well I'm a very honest person, and the book is good for those kids, that feel out of place at school, the shy ones. Cause thats how my character feels in the book, you can look at the preview on the site and judge for yourself.

I'm not gonna freakin' look at the "preview" on the site, jesus. I don't care what it says. can you please convince me that you weren't lying about it being a good book?

Frodo Potter, pm Darren (site administrator) and get him to set up a Book Forum competition so one of us can win a free copy of your book. It'll be advertised on the opening page of this forum for one month, and then some lucky person can win your book. It could be a forum member or just a guest who's visiting. If it's a forum member you could ask that person to critique your book.

Of coarse you think the book is special, you wrote it. The description you give about the book does not really pique the interest of the person who reads it. I see from your lulu page the book is only 11 pages long. It sounds like a picture book. Is it?

Here is the preview you get from the lulu web site (no pictures):

Chapter 1
The New Kid

Sam walked into the small little classroom, a hundred strange faces stared back at him. All different colors, some of them were the same color as him. But still they had red, yellow, and black.

Sam felt a hand on his shoulder, he looked at it and noticed the wrinkles on it. He looked up at the teacher, Mrs Linkerpot, she smiled at him and began to speak to the class.

“Class,” she said and waited for them to stop talking and pay attention. “this is Sam, our new student.”

The class was silent as they looked at him, Sam felt as if he was being sized up for a meal.

“Everyone say Hi Sam.”

The class murmured a hello, and some hi’s, one hey. The teacher smiled and showed Sam to his desk. Sam sat down and put his head on his shoulders, sighing.

Sam looked around the classroom, he felt so out of place.

How can you have a "small little classroom", and then have 100 kids in it? Most classrooms never have more than 25 kids. Some places have laws that prevent 100 kids in a classroom. Maybe you meant it felt like 100 faces, but that's not what you said. The idea that there might be 100 kids in a classroom might scare a young kid to death at the thought of going to school.

"But still they had red, yellow, and black."
This is a pretty awkward sentence. Thinking like a small kid, what do you think they will visualize when they hear that there may be kids in this school with yellow, red and black faces? Who exactly has a yellow or red face?

"Sam sat down and put his head on his shoulders, sighing." Exactly how does one put their head on thier shoulders? Do you mean he put his head down on his desk? This (head on shoulders) is physically impossible isn't it? I can't touch my head to my shoulders.

I hope you don't take this as an attack. It's not meant to be. I'm just trying to figure out what's special about your book. If it's a picture book I would really like to see some of the illustrations. It might make the story more interesting.

I only read as far as "small little classroom". Is it an interactive book where you have different words and you have to choose one?

Well its not a picture book I'll be honest, its sort of a test to see how good lulu is. I'm 16 years old and working on a fantasy novel right now. I discovered lulu and decided to test them out. So I wrote a children's book.

The 100 kids thing, was an exageration(sp) I tried very hard to get back into my mindset as a little kid. I remember the first school I went to had a small classroom, but when I looked at all the kids it seemed like I was surrounded by a hundred of them.

Who exactly has a yellow or red face? Well I'm not racist, and I'm not saying your calling me that. But I was talking about chinese and indians.

Yeah the shoulder thing, that was a mistake. I meant arm.

Its not a picture book or interactive one. I mainly just wrote it to test lulu out and I liked it so much. I decided to promote.

As for the ones that want to know if its good or not, like motokid said. Since I wrote it, its good to me. But to me from a readers point of view its not really for someone who likes big books, but if you like a good short story with a satisfying ending. I'd choose it and its good for those kids that are generally shy, cause the moral is to just do something to make friends.

Motokid, I just might do that competition thing, I'm gonna buy some copies of my book later, for family members, and I'll buy an extra one just for that.

EDIT: I have taken the book off, to revise it and make it longer.

Frodo_Potter said:
EDIT: I have taken the book off, to revise it and make it longer.

umm...why? Based on one opinion from one total stranger in one forum? You don't know me from Adam. What are you basing your revisions on?

Motokid said:
umm...why? Based on one opinion from one total stranger in one forum? You don't know me from Adam. What are you basing your revisions on?

I just felt there was more to the story and I had some mistakes there that I needed to fix. I'm not doing it because of anyone's opinion on it.

"I defiantly recommend it, you'll love reading to your kids and those that have kids that can read now and want to read new things can read it too. So if your looking for a good book to read, then buy Sam, its a good one and you can pass it on to generations."

So what about the way you started this thread then?

And if you do decide to move forward with this story I would suggest you have a few people really give it a good, honest, fine tooth comb read-over before you post it for sale. Not family members..but maybe teachers at your school. English teachers...and don't forget a few parents that are not directly related to you.

Maybe post it here in the writers showcase section for people here to critique. You'll get some in your face truth about your story there for sure....

Just a suggestion...good luck :D

Frodo_Potter said:
Oh no problem, don't want to start any fights.

You obviously are very new here....I love fights...controlled debate might be a better phrase.

Click on my screen name (upper left of each of my posts right next to the green light), and then click on my homepage link....tell me what you think.

Motokid said:
You obviously are very new here....I love fights...controlled debate might be a better phrase.

Click on my screen name (upper left of each of my posts right next to the green light), and then click on my homepage link....tell me what you think.

I checked out your homepage, I thought it was quite nice. I would defiantly choose the motorcycle book and one day when I have kids, I'll buy it for them.

No comments, critiques, complaints....nothing???? It was nice?

You can do better than that can't you? I gave you some specific ideas based on my opinions....can you do the same for me?

By the way...thanks.... :D

Well I can't really say much, the illustrations were great, I liked how you got into the mind of the motorcycle, which is hard to do, because they have no mind and I think thats impressive when an author is able to make up a storyline surrounding a lifeless object. When I have kids and buy it for them, I'll post a longer critique then this.

I just wanted to add a little bit about how kids see the different skin colors, hoping it would be helpful to you. As Motokid pointed out young kids tend to still see things quite literally so while an adult understands the terms, red, yellow or even black in my experience (I worked at a grade school this year) kids describe most colors exactly as they are, light brown, dark brown, tan and cream. I've also noticed a lot of the kids seem to find the hair color more of a descriptor amongst themselves than skin color, as in Johnny with the gold hair, Jane with the red.

Anyways I just thought it maybe helpful, I've been spending a lot of time with young kids this year so if want any info on the terms they use let me know.

Ronny said:
I just wanted to add a little bit about how kids see the different skin colors, hoping it would be helpful to you. As Motokid pointed out young kids tend to still see things quite literally so while an adult understands the terms, red, yellow or even black in my experience (I worked at a grade school this year) kids describe most colors exactly as they are, light brown, dark brown, tan and cream. I've also noticed a lot of the kids seem to find the <a href="hair%20color" onmouseover="window.status='hair color'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">hair color</a> more of a descriptor amongst themselves than skin color, as in Johnny with the gold hair, Jane with the red.

Anyways I just thought it maybe helpful, I've been spending a lot of time with young kids this year so if want any info on the terms they use let me know.

Well the characters in the story are 7-8 years old, so if you got any terms from that age range. You can pm me.

Back