• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Justified hatred of Gryffindor

Wintergreen

Does anyone else think that the dislike shown towards Gryffindor by Slytherin is entirely justified? First of all Gryffindor always win everything, often in dubious circumstances (witness Dumbledore rigging the points system in favour of Gryffindor at the end of the first book). Then there's the "in-crowd" atmosphere among the Gryffindor students and the smug self-satisfaction that they're in the only good house, while the Slytherin students are typecast as evil from the moment they're sorted. Finally Gryffindor students get rooms with great views, while Slytherin have to sleep under a lake. It's enough to make anyone want revenge.

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's so annoying how the whole group of Slytherin is shown as evil. Come on, that's just a little unrealistic. And yes, also irritating is the fact that Gryffindor always wins in Quidditch, the house cup...
Not to mention they have Snape for their head of house, which would drive me crazy.
I fancy Slytherin myself.

well, considering snape continuously and unfairly sniped points from gryffindor every chance he got, then i am glad dumbledore gave them the points. those students saved the potterverse for a time and deserved to win the points!

slytherins revel in their "badittude" and in their characterization as such, so i don't feel sorry for them. and look at what they did to the entire school under umbridge! :X

as for always winning the quidditch cup. they have only won the quidditch cup twice since harry has been there. as for the house cup, i think it had been years since they won until harry got there.

I think the slytherins would see it as justified!

They have to hang around Draco "bad jokes" Malfoy all day, let's cut them some slack.

And although I like Hermione as a character, she would have been the type of girl who really peed me off in class!

I'm a ravenclaw myself. I think everyone has enough justification to dislike gryffindor. Nobody else seems to get a chance..

Say, lady.c, is that sign still on the door? ;)

tundra said:
I'm a ravenclaw myself. I think everyone has enough justification to dislike gryffindor. Nobody else seems to get a chance..

Say, lady.c, is that sign still on the door? ;)

yes, miss "i hate emoticons!" lol! the sign is still on the door.

i went to bed thinking about this question last night. remember, though, that they hadn't won much of anything before harry got there. he is the ultimate protagonist and is the hero for gryffindor in more ways than one (i think it will come out that he is gryffindor's heir or something along those lines - or maybe neville is).

anyways, JKR doesn't depict all of slytherin's as evil. we just mainly see the ones that hang around draco and most of them have parents who are death eaters, so they are evil. and by nature people who crave power and are cunning and will do anything to get that power tend to be evil, as they will step on everyone in their way regardless of the consequence.

however, there are other good slytherins. slughorn for one! i loved that character.

lady.cordelia said:
yes, miss "i hate emoticons!" lol! the sign is still on the door.

I do hate them..and generally disable smilies in text when I think one is necessary. This was one of maybe..3 times total in nearly 300 posts where I used an emoticon. AND it was intentional since I knew you'd notice. That's too bad about the sign. I guess you'll just have to keep checking.

I do hate them..and generally disable smilies in text when I think one is necessary. This was one of maybe..3 times total in nearly 300 posts where I used an emoticon. AND it was intentional since I knew you'd notice. That's too bad about the sign. I guess you'll just have to keep checking.

this is just for you tundra!

this is just for you tundra!

What in hell was that!!! And to think it was waiting for 4 whole days for me to sign back on too. My life is so much more worthwhile now that I've taken that in. Thank you so much lady cordelia, someday I'll be sure to return the favor...in style.

wasn't there mention in one book that Gryffindor hadn't won anything in a long time til Harry showed up?

I believe so. In the first book. Harry was the greatest seeker since Charlie graduated. So I guess your prospective depends on how long is a long time, I can't remember how much older Charlie is than Harry.

The whole classification of students into just four groups is weak, as it seems the G's can do no bad, and the S's are a bad lot, with R's and H's only vaguely sketched out at best. Has anyone tried to apply Myers-Briggs to the four houses? ;)

I thought while reading the books, that it was unfair for the Gryffindor house to be shown favoritism from the teachers. Espcially Dumbledore, who, if we was so wonderful, should have been more fair.

Yes, it would be perfectly justified for the Slytherins to hate Gryffindor, and for the other two houses to hate both Slytherin and Gryffindor for taking up all the limelight. Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs are just there if they need to kill someone or have a Quidditch game that is easy.

Having the best Quidditch team wouldn't be unreasonable, because stuff like that always changes with the players, but how come the Golden Trio can get by with anything, when other kids would be punished? And it was very unfair of Dumbledore to change the points at the end of the year. Why not just let Slytherin keep the prize and give Gryffindor an honarable mention, even though they had broken ten thousand rules to 'save the day'?

Sorry gang, I just don't see it. First of all, Slytherins hate everybody. Second of all, Slytherins already hated Gryffindor house in the first book when they were the house winning the house cup.

The real issues isn't Slytherins hatred of any other house, it's Malfoy's hatred for Harry Potter because he is famous.

Also, I don't see any favoritism toward Gryffindor house, but rather Snapes favoritism of his own house as well as his abuse of the other three.

Personally, since this is a children's book, then the defines of good and evil have to be terribly black and white. That's why Gryffindor is such a hatable character in real life. They are too perfect, or at least treated as such. They're almost a Mary Sue of sorts. I don't personally hate them, but I do see why so many would hate them.

But someone had a point of saying that Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are seriously ignored. What do they have to even do with the story? They may be the in-betweens of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, to balance them out, but they have so little significance that they don't do their job correctly.

Back