• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kamala Markandaya: Nectar In A Sieve

opinion8ed2

Hmm this was fiction right? It may have been an autobiography but I'm fairly sure it was a fiction?

Oh---This post contains spoilers :)

Anyway, I thought this was an amazing book. I loved the language she used and the way it was written. For example, an excerpt from a passage earlier on in the book.

“We are home,” he cried. “Wake up! Look!”
I woke; I looked.

haha I don't know I just loved the simplicity of that. Also, at times of great tragedy in the main character's life (I've forgotten her name >_< ), she really showed an amazing amount of fortitude.

Whats the main point? To me, I'm not really sure. I know there were strong vibes against big business. Such as when the skinner factory came into the town and upped the cost of living, etc. Also, I think that between the main character and the white doctor Kennington, there was alot of...augh I don't know how to explain it, what to call it. I'll quote instead.

“I have told you before,” he said. “I will repeat it again; you must cry out if you want help. It is no use whatsoever to suffer in silence. Who will succour the drowning man if he does not clamour for his life?”
“It is said-“ I began.
“Never mind what is said or what you have been told. There is no grandeur in want-or in endurance."
Privately I thought, Well, and what if we gave in to our troubles at every step! We would be pitiable creatures indeed to be so weak, for is not a man’s spirit given to him to rise above his misfortunes? As for our wants, they are many and unfilled, for who is so rich or compassionate as to supply them? Want is our companion from birth to death, familiar as the seasons or the earth, varying only in degree. What profit to bewail that which has always been and cannot change?

---that constant misunderstanding between the two. But is there really a right answer?

edit: Upon reflection, I think the whole book is about change, and the different ways that these people adapted to it.

Alright well what does everyone think? :)

a very good book. i had to read it for a hinduism class and ended up keeping it because i liked it so much.

Back