• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kate Long: The Bad Mother's Handbook

Rogue

I started to read this book more out of boredom than out of interest and sadly my low expectations were fully met.

"The Bad Mother's Handbook" tells the story of Charlotte (teenager), her Mum and her Nan and is set in the UK Middle Class. They all live together and disaster strikes in form of Charlotte getting pregnant.
The book is written in different fonts in order to separate the thoughts of Nan and the rest of the family. The fact that it took me about 100 pages to notice this, is a pretty good indicator, that the fonts aren't different enough. Furthermore it gets quiet confusing and most of the time I wasn't sure who was talking.

The story is lame & predictable and I got the impression that these characters are mental. The Mum behaves like a living nightmare, Nan has dementia and Charlotte is just sitting there and waiting for prince charming. All these characters aren't consistent in their behaviour and it gets frustrating to see them react to fit the story and not the opposite way.

Really this book is so stuffed with chlichés is disgusting.
And the fact that everything is tied together with an ultimate happy end doesn't help. For being a bright independent teenager Charlotte behaves way out of her character when she lets Daniel take over the reigns. Also the fact that she got knocked up in the first place and doesn't take action till she is more than 20 weeks pregnant is quiet weird. Daniel is way too perfect and these two falling in love is a sure thing from the page he gets introduced. The thing about forgetting to lock the door all the time is a really convenient way of making unwanted discoveries, but the last time I checked teenagers were quiet cunning creatures.

All in all this book is crap of the finest sort, so please get something better to read than this waste of good paper.

Amazon Link

Aw bless it, I didn't think it was bad:D
I thought it started well, the horrible teenage 'sex' scenes made me laugh.
You're right though, the end was crap. And it looks like her new book is pretty much the same plot...

Back