• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Kenzaburo Oe: Somersault

Gem

kickbox
I stayed up last night and finally finished this. Book reviews aren’t exactly my forte, but I’ll have a quick go.

Somersault centres on a doomsday cult which is referred to only as ‘The Church’ and is led by two men named Patron and Guide. Initially it was Patron’s mystic visions that gave meaning to the cult, however when a faction of the Church decides to blow up a nuclear reactor the leaders somersault by having a change of heart.

They deny their teachings and persuade their followers not to follow through with the plans. Thus, when the novel opens, the cult has not been active for ten years and is being re-established. The conflict between the factions in the church provides the tension. Patron and Guides somersault is in a sense a betrayal and Oe gives a thorough examination of the effects it has on the Church and followers as well as Patrons own beliefs and faith.

I found the novel intriguing, the intricate details and explanation of the dogma and long history of the cult was fascinating, although perhaps a tad bit distracting from the story at hand. This is the first Kenzaburo Oe book I’ve read, so I found it a little difficult to get into his style of writing. At times the dialogues felt a little awkward, but perhaps this has more to do with the translation. Times like this, I wish I could read Japanese.

At close to 600 pages the book is a big commitment to take on. It’s had decidedly mixed reviews in the press which is understandable as it’s not an entertaining read, rather an exhausting, detailed one. I’d say it’s probably appealing only for those who have interests in religious philosophy, spirituality and theories on God, prophets etc. Since these subjects do interest me, I had lots to mull over and will I’m sure in a day or two be glad I read it.

Thanks Kenny, I've taken note of those and will eventually read them. I'm 'nearly decided' about Oe - On the one hand i found his writing hard to engage with and on the other there were passages that i thought were amazing. I also rather enjoyed the detailed explanations of the Cult in the book - inspired me to add Murakami's Underground onto my next lot of purchases. So i'm about 80% convinced that Oe is an author for me.

Thanks for the links, i appreciate your consistently interesting recommendations.

Back