• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Khaled Hosseini: The Kite Runner

I'm half way through this now. I love it and really can't understand all the negative musings from many of you. I'll report back when I finish.

I say to anyone who hasn't read this - read it now!

An absolutely fantastic book on many different levels.

I like this book as a whole; other than the co-incidences that is, especially about the bully - kind of has a bollywood feel to it.

However I like how Amir regrets his weaknesses.

I have just finished The Kite Runner. I think it has different

layers and themes that can be discussed. I want to know your opinions on

some questions that I wonder. What motivates Amir exactly? Do you think

love or obligation motivates him? Second question is that do you think

that the book suggests if our country is under threat, we have an

obligation to stay and help effect change or we have an obligation to

yourself and your family’s safety.

oh gosh it has been a long time since I read it. I would have to refresh my memory before I can comment.

In the meantime :welcome to the forum.

I dont believe the book is suggesting if our country is under threat that people have an obligation to stay. I believe that the author is highlighting the condition in which the Afgan people endure in part due to inability to leave being one account but on a larger scale the fact that it is their home and while it has bern under attack and ensured blood shed for many generations that the people are in fact countrymen and women who seek to endure until they find peace and an improved situation. The fact that the Afgan people have thwarted every foreign invader to date is a testament to the truism. While outsiders may no understand their culture and values those values are dear to the people and they are willing to sacrifice all to keep what is theirs. I feel that the authors impact upon his readers speaks to this point in not only The Kite Runner but his subsequent titles as well and in doing so he has and is opening the eyes of western readers the human condition as it relates to various cultures and the end result is the ability for readers to exercise empathy and maybe even a desire to help the situation for a people we as a western civilization have all too often flagged as terrorist as a whole instead of understanding the vast greatness of the conditions in which they live both under power struggles, corruption, and extremism. Sorry for the run on and horrible sentence structure but Im posting this from my phone.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Book And Reader mobile app

It's been a while since I read the Kite Runner, but I remember really liking it.

The writing was very vivid -- but that might just be due to how strong (or shocking) some of the scenes were -- and there is a lot of imagery. I think the book does lose a little strength when Amir becomes an adult, but I wonder if that isn't because of that loss of imagery... or maybe it's the loss in Hassan's character and the changes in Amir's character as he grows older. I don't think that's a bad thing though. Rather, it an interesting contrast between the adult Amir and his childhood.

Back