• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

King Arthur type books?

Ak_red said:
I enjoyed the books by Mary Stewart:

The Crystal Cave
The Hollow Hills
The Last Enchantment
The Wicked Day

It has been a while, but I remember enjoying all of them. Of course, I believe these stories are told more from Merlin's view than King Arthur's.

Yes, it's Merlin's perspective. I'm reading the Hollow Hills, and Arthur hasn't even been born yet! I really, really like it - it's much easier to read than I expected, and the characters are good.
There's a fourth one? I thought it was a trilogy... shame, my library only has three.

Someone above mentioned Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy, which is my favorite actually, but it is more about Merlin than Arthur, as is Jack Whyte's series. Whyte's Merlin is a much more "muscular" Merlin, but Stewart's covers the relationship between Arthur and Merlin so beautifully. Plus Merlin's relationship with Uther, which was to say the least combative.

The others mentioned above are too much into the fantasy realm for my taste. Well written, but not my cup of tea.

Herenya said:
Yes, it's Merlin's perspective. I'm reading the Hollow Hills, and Arthur hasn't even been born yet! I really, really like it - it's much easier to read than I expected, and the characters are good.
There's a fourth one? I thought it was a trilogy... shame, my library only has three.

I did not enjoy The Wicked Day one quarter as well as the previous three! But I think The Hollow Hills is my favorite!

The only one I've read is 'The Mists of Avalon' which is one of my all time favs. :D I'm now reading 'Forests of Avalon' which is a prequel.
After reading the reviews for other authors I'm tempted to try a few out. :)

Does 'The Merlin Conspiracy - Trick or Treason?' by Diana Wynne Jones count? It's been a while since I read it - many books have passed my way since but I do recall enjoying it. Probably not as literate as some mentioned but if you're interested in this genre...

Also thought of another - maybe
It's definitely been a while since I read 'Ruan' A Novel by Bryher. In fact it's been so long I can't recall whether I enjoyed it or not. It's timing is placed after the death of Arthur and that's all I can say on the book - perhaps I'll reread it :rolleyes:

I am very surprised that no one has so far mentioned Howard Pyle's four King Arthur books!! Howard Pyle wrote these around 1905 or so, and they bear the taste of the Victorian age; however, I have yet to find an equal when it comes to relating the chivalry and beauty of the Knights of Camelot!

The books (in order) are:
-The Story of King Arthur and His Knights
-The Story of the Champions of the Round Table
-The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
-The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur

These books are illustrated by Pyle, who is from the same school (literally) as N.C. Wyeth. I discovered these books many years ago, when I was about 10 or so, and though the language can be a bit archaic, they acurately portray a sense of the time...merry ol' England!! :cool:

Back