• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

King Arthur

chaser226

Hello everybody, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations for books on King Arthur. I am not that familiar with King Arthur's stories so anything that will allow me to learn more about him.

**Please note i'm a fantasy freak, and yes I just watched King Arthur the movie.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hmmm, quite a few historical authors have tried the King Arthur story. Of these, you may like to try Bernard Cornwell's trilogy or the trilogy by Helen Hollick. Both are superb and very gritty. Rosalind Miles has written some books from the perspective of Guinevere, but I have not tried these.

On the fantasy side of things, Stephen Lawhead has completed a trilogy of King Arthur. David Gemmell tackled elements of the King Arthur mythology in his Last Sword of Power book. T.H.White (I believe that is the name) wrote some excellent books.

Hmm, that should start you off anyway, and I'm sure you'll get more suggestions. Of the above, my favourite is the trilogy by Helen Hollick.

Marion Zimmer Bradley - The Mists of Avalon
Bernard Cornwell - The Warlord Chronicles
TH White - the Once and Future King

I second The Mists of Avalon! A great book, aye.

Also, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Series has a lot to do with Arthurian legends, etc., but doesn't take place in Arthur's time.

And if you read Lord Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott, it's very tragic, about the time of Camelot, and Lancelot and this Lady that has to spin all her life.

Just an item of interest, has anyone read C. S. Lewis's That Hideous Strength? Because in it, Merlin hasn't actually died, he just sort of fell asleep and was buried, and then they resurrect him hundreds of years later. Kind of weird, but interesting all the same.

Stalky said:
And if you read Lord Tennyson's The Lady of Shalott, it's very tragic, about the time of Camelot, and Lancelot and this Lady that has to spin all her life.

Is that a poem, or is my memory playing tricks on me? :)

Ummm ... ok, I confess, it is a poem. But it's a very good one!

Edit: That is to say, especially the song version by Loreena McKennitt

If you have any interest in the Merlin side of things, I recommend Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment). I just finished it last night and I have to say they were excellent books.

Also, Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy have three books out called The Forever King, The Broken Sword, and the Third Magic. These books aren't exactly Arthurian legend, but they are very well-written and entertaining.

Another classic trilogy is by Mary Stewart: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.

Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
The Once and Future King (my new favourite book!) by T.H. White
the three Merlin books by James Mallory based on the movie starring Sam Neil (Watch the movie if you get the chance too!).

Oberon said:
Another classic trilogy is by Mary Stewart: The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment.

I know this is an old thread. I just want to throw this out there. The series by Mary Stewart was not a trilogy. There is a fourth book, called The Wicked Day. Just in case you are interested in that scrap of info.

I second the recommendation of Malory and White. You can't go wrong with the classics. Malory's deserves to be in anyone's collection of the leatherbound gold-trimmed variety.

"The Mists of Avalon" has some pretty suggestive elements doesn't it? I mean, for some people that can be a surprising drawback to the book. I haven't read it myself so no attacks please, but I know the film version with the ER lady has incest and a threesome scene in it. So, personally if it's in the book I'd mention it if I was recommending it. We still have some conservative folks about who don't go in for that kind of material.

Someone mentioned Warren Murphy. I'm assuming that's the same Murphy who co-wrote the Destroyer series yes? With Richard Sapir? Or is it a different guy?

the skystone

the skystone is a good series on roman history. The first book takes is from Publis Varrus's view. He is King Arthurs grand father. As the series progresses it takes place in King Arthur's view.. It shows how his sword was made and how the city Camelot was formed.. Overall they are very good books but Arthur doesn't get introduced to the third book. It also shows how the political system known as the round table is formed. The first book the skystone is action packed and shows King Arthurs grandfather(publis Varrus) and his life in the military and the wars he was involved in. Eventually him and his friend Ciaus Brittanicus decide to form there own town and name it Camelot which eventually becomes a great city. With this series you have to be a bit patient as King Arthur isnt involved in the first two stories.

Back