• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

King Arthur

Jessica089

I have to be honest, I know nothing about him. I just know he's a medieval king. Even though he is in a few of the fantasy books I've read. So, that's why I was wondering if you guys could share your thoughts and knowledge about him. :eek: Have any of you read anything good with him or about him?

There seems to be many conflicting stories which have been released over the years about King Arthur. Countless sagas and novels have been written either directly about him or about his kingdom of Camelot.

It's best to keep in mind that there is a whole premise about Arthur that, one, he never existed and is just a legend that is used often because he is so familiar a name to most people, or two, that he was a real person who drew the world out of the Middle Ages and influenced most of ancient Europe.

Usually, Arthur is associated as being the King of England and ruled from his court at Camelot. There, he had a round table which placed all his knights equal to him and each other so that no one man had more of a say than any other. Arthur had a personal advisor and friend named Merlin, whom was also a magician. Merlin raised Arthur to be king and to rule justly.

Lancelot was Arthur's finest knight. He was humble, courageous, chivalrous and the ideal warrior. Unfortunately, Lancelot fell in love with Guinevere (Arthur's wife) and they had an affair. Arthur meanwhile was magicked by his sister Morgause and they had an incestuous baby together named Mordred. Mordred was the antagonist of Lancelot and Arthur and they would end up having a battle.

Not all stories follow this premise and some follow none of it! But this is basically the widely held cycle of Arthur.

The first classic novel written about Arthur and his knights was Le Morte D'Arthur by Thomas Mal(l)ory, sometime in the 1400's I believe. Personally, I haven't read it but I've heard it is quite excellent if you enjoy reading dated material.

More recently, there has been plenty written on the topic. I read T.H. White's adaptation, The Once & Future King, which is an excellent novel. Most people are familiar with it's introductory story The Sword In the Stone which was produced into that famous 60's movie by Disney. I will say though that T.H. White writes in more of a philosophical sense than most and quite a few people find his novel hard to digest.

“The destiny of Man is to unite, not to divide. If you keep on dividing you end up as a collection of monkeys throwing nuts at each other out of separate trees.”​
- T.H. White, The Once & Future King

Two other epics have been written related to King Arthur's world. First is the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've never read any of these books yet they seem to get rave reviews. Second is the epic by Jack Whyte. His series is supposed to be obsessive in detail and also be the most comprehensive series ever written about Arthur. So much so in fact that I believe that there is over a half-dozen novels on the subject. I own the first story, The Skystone, but have yet to read it.

There are undoubtably many other novels on the topic of Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin and company and I hope some other people mention them and their opinions.

Hope this helps a bit.

Do a quick search for King Arthur (search button is at the top) and you'll find a lot of threads recommending reads on the subject.

Jazzman said:
There seems to be many conflicting stories which have been released over the years about King Arthur. Countless sagas and novels have been written either directly about him or about his kingdom of Camelot.

It's best to keep in mind that there is a whole premise about Arthur that, one, he never existed and is just a legend that is used often because he is so familiar a name to most people, or two, that he was a real person who drew the world out of the Middle Ages and influenced most of ancient Europe.

Usually, Arthur is associated as being the King of England and ruled from his court at Camelot. There, he had a round table which placed all his knights equal to him and each other so that no one man had more of a say than any other. Arthur had a personal advisor and friend named Merlin, whom was also a magician. Merlin raised Arthur to be king and to rule justly.

Lancelot was Arthur's finest knight. He was humble, courageous, chivalrous and the ideal warrior. Unfortunately, Lancelot fell in love with Guinevere (Arthur's wife) and they had an affair. Arthur meanwhile was magicked by his sister Morgause and they had an incestuous baby together named Mordred. Mordred was the antagonist of Lancelot and Arthur and they would end up having a battle.

Not all stories follow this premise and some follow none of it! But this is basically the widely held cycle of Arthur.

The first classic novel written about Arthur and his knights was Le Morte D'Arthur by Thomas Mal(l)ory, sometime in the 1400's I believe. Personally, I haven't read it but I've heard it is quite excellent if you enjoy reading dated material.

More recently, there has been plenty written on the topic. I read T.H. White's adaptation, The Once & Future King, which is an excellent novel. Most people are familiar with it's introductory story The Sword In the Stone which was produced into that famous 60's movie by Disney. I will say though that T.H. White writes in more of a philosophical sense than most and quite a few people find his novel hard to digest.

“The destiny of Man is to unite, not to divide. If you keep on dividing you end up as a collection of monkeys throwing nuts at each other out of separate trees.”​
- T.H. White, The Once & Future King

Two other epics have been written related to King Arthur's world. First is the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've never read any of these books yet they seem to get rave reviews. Second is the epic by Jack Whyte. His series is supposed to be obsessive in detail and also be the most comprehensive series ever written about Arthur. So much so in fact that I believe that there is over a half-dozen novels on the subject. I own the first story, The Skystone, but have yet to read it.

There are undoubtably many other novels on the topic of Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin and company and I hope some other people mention them and their opinions.

Hope this helps a bit.

Oh yes it does, you've confirmed that this sstory I'm reading is true and the author has just had her own to it. It's amazing how simialr the story is..lol I was going to read the avalon series, I think i will :)

I found this book at the library called Arthur and the lost kingdoms by Alistar Moffat.....anyone read it?? Up for a fill me in on it discussion???

kinda off topic, but i once knew a guy in college who claimed to be able to trace his ancestors all the way back to Arthur, and everyone should show some deference to him.
i tried to explain Le Morte de Arthur was fiction, as was The Once and Future King. but 'twas all in vain. poor guy flunked out after only one semester.

Great summary, Jazzman! I've spent the summer catching up on Arthurian legend and that still helped me understand the whole thing! I would add Mary Stewart's quadrology, The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment and The Wicked Day along with Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon to a must-read list of Arthurian books.

Oh, and Myertree, my wife's maiden name is MacAlpine and so she could claim King Kenneth's throne, we just haven't had the time to fly over to Scotland ... :rolleyes:

O

Oh I'm wanting to read the mists of avalon, but I got the girst in the serioes the preistess of avalong I think it is :)

Back