• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

L. Frank Baum: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

emptyparkinglot

I just wanted to put a new thread out to all those lovers of this wonderful classic. I am currently reading the book for the first time and I was hoping to get a little discussion going. Please feel free to post a thought, even if you've only ever watched the movie (which is quite abridged from the book!). I had a couple of thoughts that I wanted to start out on. First; I really enjoy the Tin Man and the Scarecrow a lot. Baum obviously has an underlying moral to their characters. He wants people to understand that even though (actually in spite of the fact that) these characters don't have a heart/brain, they are far more compassionate and intelligent than they would be if they actually had brains and a heart. In fact, Baum actually mentions a few times (so far; I'm not done yet!) that if they had the things that they sought from the Wizard, they would not care so much/think so hard. I believe that people are like this. They think that they have brains and they think that they have hearts, and of course, they then take them for granted. Excuse me for putting a religious spin on this, but a pastor named Oswald Chambers stated this:

“We have to get rid of the idea that we understand ourselves. This is always the last bit of pride to go. The only One who understands us is God. The greatest curse in our spiritual life is pride. If we have ever had a glimpse of what we are like in the sight of God, we will never say, ‘Oh, I’m so unworthy.’ We will understand that this goes without saying. But as long as there is any doubt that we are unworthy, God will continue to close us in until He gets us alone. Whenever there is any element of pride or conceit remaining, Jesus can’t teach us anything. He will allow us to experience heartbreak or the disappointment we feel when our intellectual pride is wounded. He will reveal numerous misplaced affections or desires—things over which we never thought He would have to get us alone. Many things are shown to us, often without effect. But when God gets us alone over them, they will be clear.”
-Oswald Chambers “My Utmost for His Highest: Have You Ever
Been Alone with God?”

I think that this is what Baum was shooting for (in a non-religious fashion!). If we want to be intellectual, we must admit to ourselves that we are not intellectual people and then do the best with what we've got! If we want to have more compassion, we must realize first that we are not born compassionate and again, we just have to work with what we've got! This is a new perspective for me. It requires a level of humility that I am struggling to have at the moment. On a side note, The Lion and Dorothy also experience the same sort of characteristics, but it hasn't been as obvious to me.

Okay, the last part that I wanted to add to this was the complexity of Toto! Wow! I didn't realize how his role is so vital until I read the book. In the movie he's just a security blanket for Dorothy, but in the book, Baum makes him much more! I see him as a token, a memento of the world that Dorothy left behind. He's the only creature that cannot talk (up to the point where I'm at in the story) and he acts like a real dog would; he chases other animals, tries to bite everyone, barks, sleeps, gets hungry, etc. Every other creature in the story has something surreal to their nature.
Dorothy also looks for security from the dog here, but as a connection she can make with where she was before to where she is now. Both things become real (definitely not a dream!) because he is real. And because he is in both places, there seems to be no doubt that both places are real.

So there you have it. I hope that there are others who would like to share their thoughts! My mind is an open and les-than-half-written book!

It's been a really, really long time since, I read it last. I'll have to try and dig it up at my Mom's, I used to like it a lot.

Well, I don't know if it was quite worth reading four identical threads to get to this... just kidding, fantastic review-y type thing (even if I've only ever watched the movie), you've made me want to read a children's book, well done!

ditto what Steffee said...I myself have only watched the movie....and I haven't read many children's classics, (even when I was a child)-In the past twelve hours I've added two more books to my TBR list, but they both get bumped to the top:D Thanks emptyparkinglot:)

I have a 2 volume collection of the Oz books. I've only read like 4 of them, but I enjoy them a lot. They're quick reads, but Baum did a good job of created a new world.

It's also interesting to see how the book and the movie compare to each other, and how much stuff was left out, and added to make the movie.

I loved the books, and my favorite is the second, "The Land of Oz." They got really silly, but they were still fun reads.

I have recently ordered the ORIGINAL OZ movies (those that Baum did himself). I have heard rumors about them, and look forward to actually seeing them.

The original classic (you know, Judy Garland) actually held to the approximate events in the book (although skipping to the end after the problem with the balloon). As for the modern movies, I thought them horrible.

The series

Hadn't really contemplated reading the series, but now I may have to read at least a couple more. I have also heard that the book series starts to drift from its original genius and into a book fad for kids back in the day. However, it would be good to find out for myself, right? :cool: Thanks for the posts thus far! Anyone seen the new musical, "Wicked?" I haven't seen it, but I have the soundtrack and they put a pretty interesting twist on the story line! Maybe someone could answer why they think Baum used good and bad witches in his book? I really haven't figured out that significance just yet.

I'm not sure about the musical, because I just don't understand how they could take a book as bad, and as boring as Wicked and make it something to sing to.

Silent Movies

Got in the "Wizard of Oz Collection" and watched the "Patchwork Girl of Oz" (1914) with my 5-year-old. We thoroughly enjoyed it. He was able to understand most of it, and even pointed out things that I was missing. He watched it even though it was silent, b&w, and over an hour in length (of course had to hop with certain characters and dance with others). While this story truthfully stars none of the original casts (although the Scarecrow gets more than a cameo as he starts a relationship with the Patchwork Girl around the end), I was glad to see Ozma handled well. For those that love Oz, it seems that these are definitely worth seeing.

By the way, there are three others. One is a slap-stick version of the original story written by Oliver Hardy (before he joined with Stan Laurel). I cannot wait to watch them.

Back