• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Last seen...

The Counsellor :star3:
Didn't hate it. Dialogue was great. Acting was above average. It's just..... how many Mexican drug trafficking movies can be made. I think these have become the Mafia movies of the current generation. It didn't suffer from having Cormac McCarthy as the screenwriter and it looks slick on screen, but ultimately a pretty unoriginal and morbid movie.

The Counsellor :star3:
Didn't hate it. Dialogue was great. Acting was above average. It's just..... how many Mexican drug trafficking movies can be made. I think these have become the Mafia movies of the current generation. It didn't suffer from having Cormac McCarthy as the screenwriter and it looks slick on screen, but ultimately a pretty unoriginal and morbid movie.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction too. It was okay (the casting definitely helped) but I was more exhausted than saddened or frightened by the end.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes :star3: 1/2
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes :star4:

I was not expecting much but I now officially love the new incarnation of this franchise. RISE of course deals with Caesar, the superintelligent offspring of a lab chimp, the scientist (James Franco) who adopts him, and the company where Franco works, whose unscrupulous animal testing methods end up exposing the world to a virus that makes apes smarter but kills humans. In DAWN, most of the people are dead while the apes, led by Caesar, have established a peacable society (already advanced to the level of primitive man) and a faction of surviving humans clashes with the apes. RISE is largely expository and DAWN deals with the emotions and prejudices of both the human and ape characters. Presumably this series is heading toward ending where the Charlton Heston movie began (there's a reference in RISE to the Icarus launching), but I suppose it could go in a different direction, the ending to DAWN was fairly open. The special effects in RISE were uneven and the narrative was a little bit rushed in spots; DAWN has both a tighter script and higher quality visuals. What really carries both these movies though, is the amazing stop-mo work by Andy Serkis as the tragically conflicted Caesar. (All the major ape characters are remarkably well done, more impactful than most of the human performers in fact). I'm totally on board for the next one.

Guardians of the Galaxy. If you haven't seen this yet: run, don't walk, to the nearest theater. :star5:

wqljut7tw6k17ojevi4r.jpg

Courtesy of Air Canada's IFE:

The Ipcress File: I'm starting to get into Cold War-era spy thrillers. This one was enjoyable but not the best. :star3:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: Enjoyable but a bit confusing. I wish it was longer. Time to check out the original with Sir Alec Guiness, I guess. :star4:

The Grand Budapest Hotel: Brilliant. :star5:

Just finished watching the entire 6 DVD miniseries, The Pacific (2010). This was the companion series to the previous miniseries, A Band Of Brothers.

My brother, who had seen a lot of horror in the Korean War, and had been seriously wounded at 'Heartbreak Ridge' once told me, "You can read all the books, you can watch all the movies, you can listen to all the stories but you will never know what war is like till you've been there." I had been thinking of enlisting to do my bit during the Vietnam war ... his response, "If you do I will never have anything to do with you for the rest of your life."

I am not so naive to believe that ANY movie can adequately describe war properly, but I think this movie (The Pacific) gives a sense of the day to day lives of soldiers and perhaps just an inkling of the stresses endured - both physical and emotional. The stories are the real-life accounts of servicemen who fought in the Pacific theatre during WW II.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend this series.

Last edited:
Her, a love story between a man and his computer OS. Quite a thought provoking movie especially as AI is the current hot topic in science at the moment. If a genuinely sentient artificial intelligence is created will it wish to hang around its progenitors or will it be desperate to get out of the house?

I started watching Les Revenants. Creepy as hell. I dig it.

Saw Captain America: Civil War a few weeks ago. Damn was that good. Spiderman and Ant Man were brilliant.

I think episode 3 is next. I started it a few months ago but got distracted by other things.

Have you seen The Last Panthers?

I watched the first two episodes... The tooth & the diamonds and the elderly arms dealers....
default_gratte-tete.gif

There are too many disagreeable scenes for my taste .

Last edited:
Back