• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Late 80s/early 90's dark fantasy/horror?

angelnetinc

I have been searching for this book for several years now. I have Googled every word combination I can think of, posted what I remember on every book related forum I can find, asked everyone I know who reads...all to no avail. Someone out there must have read this this book. Here is what I can recall:

The artist (photographer maybe) is somewhat of an outcast, his art isn't very good. He meets a girl and after a night together finds out that she has a genetic disorder that makes her bruise very easily but the marks are gone the next day. Together they come up with a plan to write poems and draw pictures on her body and then photograph/paint them. He uses the handle of a paintbrush or something similar to do this. He writes poetry and stories on her skin. His art takes off and he is in high demand. It is a very interesting love/hate relationship. I think it was set in Seattle or Portland. I remember the book talking about them sleeping on a pallet on the floor and their apartment being a studio style one. Also in one scene he stands on a ladder and takes pictures of her lying on the floor.

I remember that the girl has very pale, translucent looking skin. He finds out she has this bruising issue when they spend the night together and he wakes to find her sleeping beside him looking like someone beat her. He is horrified because he thinks that he may have done it but then she wakes and explains. I’m fairly certain that the couple engages in “rougher” behavior in the bedroom. Resulting in days where they can not take new photos until her bruises are healed. The artist/main character suffers from "lost time"; he blacks out and forgets where he has been and what he has done.

This book was probably published in the late 80's or early 90's, could be older than that but I doubt newer. I THINK that I picked this book up because someone told me that if I liked Anthony Shriek by Jessica Amanda Salmonson, I would like this one. Anthony Shriek was published in 1992 that may or may not be of any significance. I've searched the Dell Abyss imprint that Anthony Shriek was published under and can't find anything. It has been suggested that this may be a short story rather than a book, but I don’t believe that is the case.

Please do not hesitate to send questions. I may not know the answers, but inquisitions may shake loose tidbits that I did not realize existed.

Back