• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Late characters

malena2006

Large novels tend to introduce new characters throughout the story, some even close to the end (e.g. Archie and Bonnie in GWTW; Platon Karataev in War and Peace). Is that appropriate? My novel is the first of a trilogy. Although it stands as a novel on its own, I have introduced, in the last six chapters, new characters that will play important parts in the other volumes. Does that make my novel seem incomplete? Isn´t a book that is part of a series supposed to feel “not whole”?

malena2006
Simply as someone that enjoys reading sequels, or even prequels, I agree that characters introduced in the later part of a novel of that sort carry over and provide necessary continuity.
Its good that your individual novels are more or less stand alone, but common characters certainly cement said continuity.

As far as not feeling whole, I would have to say there is a fine line. The first must whet the appetite for more, but not be totally essential for understanding of the story.

If that makes any sense. :)

It makes sense to me

Thanks!:) I like to get reader´s input. In my case, I also enjoy books that show a possibility for continuation. Well, only if it is a good story.

Late characters are fine, as long as they have purpose. Don't make them too late, or your readers will not care for them at all.

sirmyk said:
Late characters are fine, as long as they have purpose. Don't make them too late, or your readers will not care for them at all.

Well said. And I'd just like to add that not only will your readers not care about these latecomers, but you run the risk of generating confusion down the road if these forgettable characters suddenly take on more important roles in subsequent books (unless you plan on re-introducing them, which can give the impression that the author has forgotten about the characters as well).

Back