• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Law and Order (Classic, SVU, CI, and TbJ)

BookMasterJMV

Didn't see a thread for this anywhere so I figured I might as well start one. :p

And I must start it off with a salute to Jerry Orbach. Rest in peace, Lennie. We miss you.

--

So. Any fellow dun-dun fans out there? Has anyone else watched Trial by Jury yet? I saw it last Friday and enjoyed it as I thought I would -- always loved Bebe Neuwirth in Cheers and had a feeling she'd do well in this series.

One more thing.. God bless Mr. Dick Wolf, for without him, I'd have nothing to watch on television.

I watch Classic and SVU. Don't like CI-can't stand Vincent D'Onofrio. Haven't seen TBJ yet. I don't want to OD on L&O. (don'tcha love all these abbreviations?)

Nothing will be the same without Jerry.

I watched it for the first few series .. if its on and I flick onto it then I'll sit and watch it, but I was never the biggest fan :)

Phil

I watch Criminal Intent and SVU occassionally. I used to have the biggest crush on Vincent D'Onofrio.
verrueckt012.gif
Don't ask me why - I thought he was hot.
conf44.gif

I never got into the original flavour Law and Order, and we don't have Trial By Jury out here.

I am a true devotee! I tape them all week and then watch them back to back to back... they're playing old ones on cable. We don't have TBJ as of yet. Waiting...

I'm a big fan too - still haven't caught TBJ, but I think it's coming soon. My partner is not, on the other hand. I was watching Law and Order the other day and the ads came on. He commented: 'Have you ever noticed that they have two spin off shows which are just about the Order, but no spin off about the Law component?' At that moment came a preview for the new TBJ show. Spooky!!

The thing I like most about these shows is that there's almost no character background. This means that you can skip an episode and it doesn't matter at all. With my hectic schedule this is a *very* good thing!!

PS: marlasinger - I hadn't seen your name before and so I took a peek at your public profile and saw you were going to read Magician next. I *loved* this the first time I read it (still do too!!). Enjoy!!

Kookamoor said:
PS: marlasinger - I hadn't seen your name before and so I took a peek at your public profile and saw you were going to read Magician next. I *loved* this the first time I read it (still do too!!). Enjoy!!

Thanks! :D I don't think I've read a negative review about this book, plus I wanted to get more into the fantasy genre. I'll post what I think, once I've read it. :D

I'm a fan, but I don't watch it all the time. It's one of those shows that sucks me in. If I start watching it, I want to see the whole show. I do the same thing with the movie Braveheart. However, I've got a friend that loves Law and Order. I like watching it with her because it's uncanny what she knows about the show. She can watch just a scene or two and tell you which episode it is, who the guest stars are, and trivial stuff like, "This is the first time that .... made an appearance." She kinda reminds me of the comic book guy on the Simpsons, except she's much cooler.

I read an interesting piece about the structure of Law and Order and why it's so appealing.

These things might seem obvious, but other shows don't follow the same rules. The show's producers are apparently very strict about sticking to the structure.

--Every episode is self-contained, i.e., you don't need background info, there's no serial element, and there's a resolution at the end. They do the opposite of the soap-opera formula.

--They pick a real-life case and work from that, so there's a truth-is-stranger-than-fiction factor in the plot.

--The balance of characters is always the same (good cop, bad cop/ experienced attorney, hot young thing)

--The balance of crime to punishment is always the same. They leave out extraneous details and also give the illusion that the whole legal process plays out in a matter of days (not months as in real life).

As a rule, whenever you see a guest star you recognize (Clare Danes, Robert Vaughn), they're going to be guilty.

You could write a neat little series of books based on this formula. I think it's fascinating. Their writers probably comb the news every day for NYC stories that would fit the formula.

i am a big fan and like to watch the old episodes on a&e. i once saw an episode where in the credits one of the crew was named jennifer wismer, which is my maiden name and an episode where the murder victim was named jennifer gorham, my married name. everytime michael moriarty was cross examining, he would say things like, "so the night jennifer gorham was killed...." it was very strange.

jenngorham said:
i am a big fan and like to watch the old episodes on a&e. i once saw an episode where in the credits one of the crew was named jennifer wismer, which is my maiden name and an episode where the murder victim was named jennifer gorham, my married name. everytime michael moriarty was cross examining, he would say things like, "so the night jennifer gorham was killed...." it was very strange.

Ooo! That would freak me out!!

I am a total Law & Order lover!!! The only one of the whole bunch of them I don't care for is CI, I just don't like that guy, he gets on my nerves. But the original, SVU, and the new Trial by Jury is great!! I get all of them on my Tivo so that I don't miss any brand new episodes! :)

I l-u-r-v-e Law & Order Criminal Intent (and not just because I think Vincent D'Onofrio is seriously tastey)

Apparantly following Mr D'Onofrio suffering from exhaustion (he collapsed on set), Chris Noth will be permanently joining the cast from next series & the show will sort of be split 50/50 between the two of them. Now I saw the epsiode Chris was in from this current series & must say it should be interesting to see how this new set up works.

My brother thinks he's Chris Noth. But he used to think he was Steve Austin, the 6 Million Dollar Man, so I guess he's getting better, even though he lost his bionic ability.

novella said:
My brother thinks he's Chris Noth. But he used to think he was Steve Austin, the 6 Million Dollar Man, so I guess he's getting better, even though he lost his bionic ability.
Surely that's a contradiction of terms? Either he's lost his bionic powers or he's getting better. :rolleyes:

lol

so will chris noth be reprising his role from the original law and order? i love him. i also love vincent. 2x's the fun.

Sar said:
Surely that's a contradiction of terms? Either he's lost his bionic powers or he's getting better. :rolleyes:

lol

Well, I mean at least he's not moving around in bionic slo-mo anymore.

novella said:
Well, I mean at least he's not moving around in bionic slo-mo anymore.
lmao
well that has to be an improvement. if only for the people behind him in a line-up.

jenngorham said:
so will chris noth be reprising his role from the original law and order? i love him. i also love vincent. 2x's the fun.

Now there's a woman out to win my heart! Well, either that or be challenged to a wrestling match to see who gets Vincent & Chris (I may skip that bit if I can keep Vincent)

Yup - Chris Noth will be reprising his original role, they introduced him to the criminal intent viewers in the current (fourth) series, but then he just appear in another episode so I figured they weren't going to make him a permanent fixture. Only found out about Vincent suffering from exhaustion earlier today, so I'm going to dust down my nurses uniform & head off to look after him right now. (Or as soon as the kids & my hubby allow me)

Back