• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Leaning against the brick wall

vclouds

I've gotten help here before finding very difficult and obscure stories - you guys are regular story sleuths, so here's another melon-scratcher. I'd appreciate any help.

I remember reading this story when I was very young, so I hope it's still recognizable if I flub the details some.

The story was a picture book, something like a few lines of text per page and pictures that I seem to think were in colored pencil or a style similar to Dr. Suess, but I don't think it was him.

The story may have been part of a larger book of stories.

Anyway, here it is:

There's a young man leaning against a brick wall and people keep walking by him. All of the people who walk by tell him to get away from the wall, or maybe just ask him why he is leaning against it. He replies that he can't move away from the wall because by leaning against it he's holding it up.

Eventually a man comes by (and it might have been the same man visiting all day, it might not have been different people) and tells the boy to move. the boy says he can't move, he's holding up the wall, and finally the man pulls the boy out from the wall.

The wall falls down.

Any idea what that is? I've been looking for it for ages. I desperately need to find it again.

As always, thanks for your help.

That's absolutely it. I recognize the art style of the cover, and the description seems accurate.

Thank you so much. I've been trying to find that story for over four years.

Back