• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lending books... and getting them back

My Worst Experience

After my last experience I have decided to never lend a book out.

I had gone for my weekly visit to my psychologist and he saw that I was reading "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night." I told him that it was excellent and he asked if he could borrow it. I specifically told him that I did not lend books out, but he PROMISED that he would read it right away and return.

Surprise, surprise, several weeks went by and he did not say anything about the book. I finally asked him twice about it and he nonchalantly said he still had not read it. Talk about losing your trust in a psychologist! : ) Well, for that reason and other more important reasons I decided to go to someone else.

See, it's stuff like that that convinced to never lend or borrow books. Everyone I know is well aware that this is a very strict policy with me. They simply don't ask to borrow books; neither do they ask me if I want to borrow anything of their books.
It costs me a little money to keep buying certain books (used) whenever i see them, but my friendships are worth the investment.
Besides, I really don't need to borrow books to try new authors. My TBR pile is nearly as tall as I am, without any outside help. And, I never get rid of a book once I've read it.

I write my name in the cover. Bookplates are costly and I reserve them for special books. I've had people fail to return books, but it isn't common. I don't usually worry about it. I figure that people who fail to return things probably need the thing more than I do.

Although, if anyone knows where my copy of the Alienist is please let me know! ;) I want my boyfriend to read it.

water faerie said:
I'll only loan books I won't miss if I don't get them back.
Same here. Recently, I just realized that my Stephen King "Bachman Books" is missing. I remembered that I lent it to a friend, called him about it, and he said that he still had it but the cover was torn off. He said he'd replace it, but I just told him it didn't matter and that it only cost me $1 and that I plan on replacing all my paperbacks with hardcovers in the future anyway.

I'm thinking about investing in bookplates though. I usually just write my name in them, but bookplates are prettier. :p

Back