• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Leo Tolstoy: Anna Karenina

Hi everyone, just finished Anna Karenina this afternoon. Phew -- what an enormous read it turned out to be. Took me somewhere between 1.5-2 months to read it.

I also read the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translated version and thought that they did a fantastic job. In case anyone is trying to find this version, it is the one sponsored by Oprah’s Book Club. The footnotes and comments were all top notch and the language was smooth and very readable. I will definitely go and buy their version of Dostoyevsky's Brothers Karamazov just because of this novel.

Now for my opinion on the novel.

This being my first time reading Anna Karenina, I undoubtedly missed tons of the more important innuendos and specific connotations but please forgive me. I wholeheartedly agree with the previous post about Tolstoy's supreme gift at making characters believable and realistic. Levin, with his introductory nervous attitude or Stepan, who is the friend everyone has -- always there to make you laugh and give you a good time. Also, it was quite evident to me that Tolstoy enjoys poking fun at the milieu socialites of his era and how they elaborate on things as if they were of extreme importance when in fact they are very insignificant and pointless. Look at the whole election scene in the novel, for example. Funny how little some things change over time.

Also described in enormity is Russia's change from a serfdom style to a peasantry style culture where all the wealthy landowners and aristocrats have to change the way things are run and the muzhiks (peasants) are given a chance to have responsibility as to how the country is managed (if only minimally at first). These scenes and themes, which mostly involved the character of Levin (who was easily my most favorite character in this novel and is eerily similar to myself in real life by way of acting and thinking), were priceless in helping to somewhat grasp how life and time was spent in 19th century Russia. Also mentioned in a previous post was the scene when Levin has just helped mow the field with a bunch of muzhiks and afterwards spends time thinking atop a bushel of hay contemplating life and such. This description in the novel is perhaps one of the most lovely pieces of writing I have ever come across in my life and advise everyone to read the novel if just for this one chapter.

I found it extremely curious to read how the culturally, socially and religiously taboo occurrence of divorce and separation is dealt with and opinionated throughout the novel. Can you slightly see how the way Vronsky and Anna act and their disregard towards other peoples opinions at times could eventually lead to the way modern aristocrats act and parade around in foolish ways? Contrastly, the lack of disregard towards other peoples opinions and its affects lead to such drastic psychological issues with Anna later on. Even Anna's husband Alexei Alexandrovich has serious self-imposed stress issues throughout the middle of the novel as to how, in his politically saturated world, it would be terrible and career halting for something such as a divorce to happen.

Spoiler (read at own risk) - As an aside, I found it priceless and extremely creepy to note the irony behind the fact that Vronsky and Anna met at a train station where someone is killed while Anna on her way to see Vronsky for the last time forces herself under a passing train at a train station. I still cannot believe that.

Anyway, those are just some thoughts in a brief sketch but I would love to delve into a specific topic with someone.

Jazzman said:
Also, it was quite evident to me that Tolstoy enjoys poking fun at the milieu socialites of his era and how they elaborate on things as if they were of extreme importance when in fact they are very insignificant and pointless. Look at the whole election scene in the novel, for example. Funny how little some things change over time.

I love it that you mentioned this aspect of the book, Jazzman -- I caught this, too. The superficiality of their upper-class's societal concerns, juxtaposed against the structural changes taking place in the actual running of the country (decision making about harvesting the fields, etc.), was a very interesting part of the story -- and this was back when a peasant was a peasant, you know?

Yeah, I think this is one of the reasons why Levin had such a hard time fitting in with all those boisterous and power-hungry politicians at the election.

There is Levin, who is actually writing a book about how to properly manage a farmland with paid peasants. Remember when Levin had that argument with the other landowner at Svizhiasky's about educating the peasantry? He is seriously dealing with how his future Russia should implement social changes in order to adapt the peasantry into the educated workforce. Yet, he feels so out of place at this political meeting where none of the politicians care at all about the peasants on whom so much is riding. It's then that Levin decides to scrap his novel. None of the politicians’ care and the only true way to act is by magnanimously running the farm as before but paying serious attention to the desires and needs of the workers. Levin while lying in the grass under the acacia tree near the end of the novel understands his purpose in life finally and decides that although on the surface he might not change, that his way of thinking is changed and his goal, as everyone's should be, is to be as good as he can be.

“… but my life now, my whole life, regardless of all that may happen to me, every minute of it, is not only not meaningless, as it was before, but has the unquestionable meaning of the good which it is in my power to put into it!”

On a different tack, and as a female, I find it interesting that even today (never mind back then) it is Anna who "got what she deserved", while Anna's brother was able to count on the continued love and support of his friends and family.

Perhaps it is simply a matter of attitude? After all, Anna skulked about being jealous and miserable, while Stepan was living the high life and calling out for another glass of vodka!

:rolleyes:

Haha, I think this is totally a societal issue.

Anna definitely became somewhat paranoid about what everyone thought of her and how she thought she should act.

I wonder if the fact that Stepan got away with the adultery the first time was reason he continued living the way he did. Sure Dolly still thought him repulsive and evil, especially near the end of the novel where they became heavily in debt, but she stayed with him AND was lucky enough to spend much time on the Levin's farm with Kitty. Which was probably vital in allowing Dolly to stay sane enough and forgiving enough to keep Stepan around. Meanwhile, Anna had no one to talk to about her problems, Vronsky was always off somewhere and was still able to live respectably and enjoyably while Anna wasn’t.

Basically, Stepan/Dolly and Anna/Vronsky were in the same boat but the fact that Dolly had friends to talk to and wasn’t at fault kept her positive. I never really thought of it until now, but I guess all this boils down to the fact that Tolstoy was trying to show the age-old adage of how a man who constantly commits adultery and frolics is socially a lot more acceptable than if the same is done by a women.

Hey I'm reading it right now. I never had the desire to read this book until a few weeks ago after I read the Unbearable Lightness of Being. I read War and Peace (or I should say I tried to read War and Peace since I never really finished it....) and that made me think Tolstoy just wasn't my cup of tea but I'm really enjoying Anna Karenina. It's an awfully long book and it's taking me a while to get through it but it's definitely worth the time.

Did it seem to everyone else that there were moments - before Anna left her husband - that Vronsky felt like ending it with Anna? I don't know if I misread those parts or what....

Anna pisses me off. She acts so stubborn and irrational sometimes that I just want to smack her upside the head.

txgirl2 said:
Anna pisses me off. She acts so stubborn and irrational sometimes that I just want to smack her upside the head.

Here's a question for y'all: Were we intended (by Tolstoy) to blame Anna for being a bad mother and a worse wife?

(And, yeah, I think Vronsky was getting a little bit impatient with Anna's antics. Given enough time he would have dumped her and run off with somebody else's wife, I'll bet.)

;)

Here's a question for y'all: Were we intended (by Tolstoy) to blame Anna for being a bad mother and a worse wife?

I think he painted a clear picture of a woman trapped in a difficult situation. Was it his intention to make Anna seem like a bad mother and wife? Who knows....? My problem with her is not because she left her family but b/c she couldn't accept her decisions.

My response to another Karenina thread that might explain better how I feel about her:

I understand that the society she lived in put limitations on her, but she still had choices . She was aware of the consequences of her actions, and because of that I don't feel sorry for her at all. Her husband gave her room to share that love with her lover, but it wasn't enough for her. She wanted it all. What irritated me was that she couldn't accept that she couldn't have it all - to be freely and openly be with Vronsky and keep her status in society.

The impression I got was she was once happy with her husband. Maybe she wasn't as passionate with Alexandrovich as she was with Vronsky, but who says passion is everything? I understand that her husband's cold demeanor and his inability to express his emotions pushed her away, but only thinking of herself and living life for herself is selfishness - not that being selfish is bad - but in her case, it led to her unhappiness. And why choose a route in life that will make you unhappy? If she didn't know it would end up so muddled then she didn't think her situation through enough, and she's stupid for that too. And she put herself in that situation, why couldn't she just suck it up? Accept her decisions and live with them?

I don't think that her husband was that bad at all. I think his only failing was that he was too cold with her, too rational. If he had just let himself be without rationalizing his feelings, and if he had expressed his feelings to Anna that things would've been different, or at least they would have had a chance. He was jealous but he thought jealousy was beneath him so instead of telling Anna, he made it seem like he was only concerned of what people would think. Levin on the other hand talked to his wife about his jealousy -when he was jealous of one of their summer guests (granted Kitty wasn't cheating) - and in a sense it brought them closer instead of pulling them apart.

Anyway, my point is, yes she wanted to experience a passionate love affair, but she didn't go about it the right way. It sucks that we are all not free to do as we please but sometimes we have to play by some of life's rules in order to not drive ourselves over the edge. And Anna not being able to acknowledge and accept that and not being able to live with her choices looked weak in my eyes. It's really hard for me to sympathize with her when she just makes mistake after mistake. But she's a great character though, because even though she annoys the hell out of me, she's very real.

Oh and I still have 200 and so pages to go but this is my impression of her so far.

I'm laughing!

I'm seeing Anna as a Rorschach blot. And I'm still wondering why we're all so mad at her and not at Stepan, or even at Vronsky? I think Vronsky was beginning to wobble there towards the end, and Stepan got off without so much as a hand-slap, although Dolly was having trouble providing milk for their children.

Don't mistake my talking mainly about Anna to mean that I don't think there was anything wrong with Stepan. I thought he was an ass. But Anna is the title character so it's not so surprising that we focus on her.

txgirl said:
... Anna is the title character so it's not so surprising that we focus on her.

This is one interesting aspect of the novel. (The main character is obviously Levin.) Anna has several different personas throughout. In the beginning she is depicted as strong, admirable, glamorous and gracious. We see her deterioration (but not too closely) as the novel progresses. Which was the true Anna? Was it really only her obsession with Vronsky that stripped her of all her admirable traits? Or was the Anna we met in the beginning not the true Anna?

I wonder if Tolsty made Anna so chameleon-like on purpose, or if this was his idea of her 'type' of woman?

funny b/c i didn't think there was only one main character in the book, reason why I said Anna was the title character, not main, but she had as much of a role in the book as Levin.

Like most people, Anna is a complex character, with many different facets to her personality. I don't think the Anna we see in the beginning is less of the real Anna than the Anna we see at the end. We are just seeing a different side to her. What was so admirable about her in the beginning anyway? She hadn't fallen from society's grace but did she do anything extraordinary that should warrant our admiration, besides being beautiful and married to a powerful and rich man (and should we admire her for that)? She convinced her sister in law to stay with a husband who cheated on her and who will eventually ruin her life. Was that so admirable?

I need to go back and see why I thought Anna had it so together in the beginning. I guess I'll need to go find her train ride with Vronsky's mother and maybe also reread Kitty's first impression of Anna.

I think Anna's mistake was, and how mant times this must happen, was she fell for Vronsky because of his flambouyant demenour and his social popularity.
When she actually had her man where she wanted him she decided she wanted him all to herself. He wasn't willing to give up his social status for her and change his highly ,for him, enjoyable lifestyle.This, I think is where her troubles began.

argh. i just got to the part where she and Vronsky got into a fight because Vronsky couldn't leave for the country on the day she wanted to and she started thinking about killing herself. part of the reason she wants to do it - if i'm not mistaken - is she wants Vronsky's sympathy, for him to regret the hurtful things he's said to her. i want to just smack her!

And death, as the sole means of reviving love for herself in his heart, of punishing him, and of gaining the victory in that contest which an evil spirit in her heart was waging against him, presented itself clearly and vividly to her.

Suicide-ly thoughts.

Anybody here ever had any of these? One might assume that they come in many flavors, according to the thinker -- spite being only one of them, presumably. Which brings me to the question: Is love the main theme of Anna's story? Lust? I'm not convinced that it's either one of these. She's obsessed by Vronsky, certainly -- but love? Who does Anna really love, anyway (if anyone)?

I'm all for smacking her upside the head, too. Maybe the gracious and polished Anna we saw in in the beginning was simply veneer after all.

Did Tolstoy feel sympathy for Anna, do you think?

i don't know if he feels sympathy but the emotions that he's attributing to Anna are certainly real and believable. i understand where she's coming from, i think we've all been there -maybe not the suicidal thoughts, but being irrational, knowing full well that you're being irrational and wanting to stop yourself from feeling that way but being unable to..... i think that's why i feel so strongly for her character b/c i empathize but at the same time i want to smack her. and i don't think the anna we saw in the beginning was just an act. as i said before, we're seeing a different facet of anna's character at the end. in the beginning her life was simple, she wasn't faced with the problems she has at the end, so of course you only see the polished anna.

I checked Sonya, The Life of Countess Tolstoy out of the library today.

Apparently "Leo was Lev" and Sonya was Kitty, and they didn't live happily ever after -- far from it!

(It has pictures, too.)

:D

Back