• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace

Dark

So i couldn't find a thread dedicated to War and Peace so i thought i's start one.

Has anyone took the time to read it?

I finished it a few weeks ago. I was watching a news program and heard that it was considered one of the best works of fiction of all time. A couple of days later i saw a copy in a second hand book shop and bought it.

I found it a tough read but i'm pleased i perservered and can say that i've read it. I also learnt a thing or two about the Napoleonic Wars

Quite a while, about 4 weeks. I think the way it was written forced me to slow down so i could digest what was going on.

It took me ages to get used to the 1860's language and style of writing and i gave up trying to remember all the characters!

Quite a while, about 4 weeks. I think the way it was written forced me to slow down so i could digest what was going on.

It took me ages to get used to the 1860's language and style of writing and i gave up trying to remember all the characters!

sounds like you read Constance Garrett's translation, she edited some things for the victorian english crowd, today there are better translations IMHO.

War and Peace was the first novel by Leo Tolstoy that I read. And, I was simply amazed by his ability to make perfect relation between history and fiction, love and conflict and outer looks and inner thoughts of his characters. Hardly knew anything about the Napoleonic wars before I read this book, but Tolstoy inspired me to find out more about that era.

And, now I am smitten by Tolstoy bug. Have already bought Anna Karanina, would be reading it soon.

Back