• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Leo Tolstoy: War And Peace

Idun said:
Why possibly in the future? What do you mean by that? To my mind, Solzhenitsyn has already written his most recognised and admired books. I don't think he will do anything better.

I think he is definately already accomplished much, I just mean his name might become more synonymous with the great Russians around the world. You problem have a much closer vantage point from where you are, he is not much spoken of here. We had to return The Red Wheel to the publisher last week because it was on the shelf for so long :( . It made me sad.

I understand you now. Solzhenitsyn is very well-known where I live, he is regarded as a classic author, like Tolstoy or Puszkin. It is obvious though, that he may not be so popular in the States. I just didn't think of that.

Idun said:
I understand you now. Solzhenitsyn is very well-known where I live, he is regarded as a classic author, like Tolstoy or Puszkin. It is obvious though, that he may not be so popular in the States. I just didn't think of that.

Ya, you have to take into account the culture here. We are evenly divided in our bestselling authors between Dr. Atkins, and The South Beach Diet yet our citizens are lazier and fatter than ever. And our most prestigious authors include the likes of Dan Brown, Dean Koontz, and James Patterson. :eek: Mind if I visit you in Poland? :eek:

True@1stLight said:
And our most prestigious authors include the likes of Dan Brown, Dean Koontz, and James Patterson.
I've never heard of these authors (except Dan Brown; he wrote "DaVinci code", didn't he? But this book I haven't read...) Look on this this way: it happens everywhere. In Poland, best-selling authors have been for years Paulo Coehlo and William Wharton...
Mind if I visit you in Poland? :eek:
:)

SillyWabbit said:
So do you feel that you can recommend the book now? :)
I'd recommend it. I thought his descriptions of the war very well done and, as Tigress mentioned, his characters superbly drawn.

The only part I didn't like, was his rather heavy-handed philosophizing about wars and their place in history, etc. at the end of the book. I felt this shouldn't have been part of the novel and would have been better-suited as a separate non-fiction treatise about history and war.

Ell

Ell said:
I'd recommend it. I thought his descriptions of the war very well done and, as Tigress mentioned, his characters superbly drawn.

The only part I didn't like, was his rather heavy-handed philosophizing about wars and their place in history, etc. at the end of the book. I felt this shouldn't have been part of the novel and would have been better-suited as a separate non-fiction treatise about history and war.

Ell

I agree, characters are where his brilliance lies.

Back