• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Les and Leslie Parrott's New Book

Alena Kelly

Hi everyone! I'm new to B&R (I was so excited to find it!). I think there are lots of great posts here and I look forward to getting to know other readers.

I just finished a great new parenting book by Dr.s Les and Leslie Parrott called "The Parent You Want to Be: Who You Are Matters More Than What You Do". You can get a good preview of the book at Les and Leslie's MySpace page (MySpace URL is lesandleslieparrott).

The authors surveyed hundreds of parents on what they thought were the ten most important traits a parent should posess. The thought here was that your kids will not remember a lot of things that YOU THINK they will, but they WILL remember YOUR traits. More importantly, they will emulate your traits and carry them on into their adulthood, marriage, and even their own parenting.

Thankfully, the authors discuss the top ten traits from the survey without making you feel guilty or overwhelmed. They suggest you pick your "top two" traits that need improvement and go from there (the complete list of the top ten traits are described at the author's site noted above).

I'm a mom to four children (7 years and under!) and find it very difficult to find time to myself to read books. But this book was very doeable because of the way it is written. I appreciated how the authors divided the chapters by each trait, so you could read just the traits you felt you wanted to work on the most, or read all of the top ten traits, or skip around, etc. I found that once I started reading the book, I couldn't put it down and read it from beginning to end!

I don't typically make the effort to go online and recommend nonfiction books, but I have for this one because I just thought that this book was so good...a wonderful book for any mom (and/or dad!) at any stage of parenting! :)

Back