• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Libraries

Libraries rock. Not only do they have Books, but you can get DVDs and CDs as well. Librarians are also pretty knowledgable folk. Books are relatively expensive, so yes...I get most of my reading material from the library but if I know I want it in my permanent collection I will order it online. I also collect antique/first edition and other books, so I get books in other odd places as well.

I agree with demetrio. I love our library and the people are nice and knowledgable. In every case that I have asked them to order a book for me, they have done so. The only time I have a long wait is for books like "The Broker" where I have been on the 'hold list" for quite awhile. John Grisham is very popular as he lives in our little ole town. I have also taken out music CD's many times. Twice I had reserved jazz CD's and there was a tag on both of them that they were donated to the library by 'The Dave Matthews Band". The Dave Matthews Band is also from Charlottesville and are great members of our community.

I love the library! I go at least once, and sometimes twice a week for books and cds. There's no way I could afford to buy every book I read(I wish I could) so the library it is for me! :D

I don't go to the library because I am too irresponsible to return books on time. Plus, I usually sleep all day, so I have trouble getting there when they are open. I have been in my library once though and I thought the people were very nice. They showed me a funny comic about late fees (because I have like $5.00 pending.

Love the library! I only go to the bookstore when the library doesn't own a book I've got to have (or when the waiting list is a mile long). I especially appreciate being able to check out six books, and then return five of them unread--with no guilt or regret. Can't do that at a bookstore! You pick a dud--you're stuck with it!

I especially like the library as a place to "try out" a new author.

I never use libraries. I just prefer my own copy of a book. Plus i like to keep all my read books as trophies! ;)

bit of both. i'm a very faithful library patron. i can take out a whack of books and if i don't like them then so what. but if i love it i will often buy my own copy later. also i feel it is really important to support your local library. so many people benefit from them and they have all kinds of great programs for teens and kids. i take my 4 year old a lot.

I go to the library at least once a week, to check out books, dvds, cds and do activities with my son. They have puppet & magic shows, classes and crafts so we are always there.

If I really like a book and know I will read it again I may buy it later and if I get a book I don't like I give it to the library for their book sale.

I love the library. I can't afford to purchase and house everything I read, so borrow it is. And like some have said, if I don't like it, I can return it unread, instead of feeling guilty about spending 20something dollars on a book I'm not going to read. And even though my local branch is small, they can get just about any book I want, even if it comes all the way from Florida!

I use to go to the library fequently but have turned more to buying books now.
I like having my own copy and doing as I please. Though I go the used book store route! Books...man they take a bite out of the wallet.
I really do love libraries--I still get a few from the library here but it isn't very big so there only so much.

I very rarely buy my own books unless I see something at Half-Price or it's an art instruction book. I use the library all the time. I think if I ever reread, which I don't, I might be more inclined to buy my own. But for now, my money's better spent on other things that I won't just go through once and stick on a shelf to collect dust.

Until just recently, I've been buying all my books. But seeing as how I have no income anymore, library it is! I don't know why I stopped going in the first place, probably because my old job never gave me anytime to head down there and browse. I'm back in the game now and loving it! :D

I didn't know that libraries loan out DVDs and CDs. I'm not sure if that's a good idea here though, but it would be very interesting and would make it easier for people to try out new music/movies.

I haven't been to the library since I don't know when. I've gotten lots of feedback that the library where I'm at is not very good...

ds

I make great use out of our Library. I just put in a "hold" at the Library on Terry Goodkind's Wizards First Rule book since it has been a topic of discussion recently on the forum. :)

callatiger said:
I really do love libraries--I still get a few from the library here but it isn't very big so there only so much.
The size of the library shouldn't matter, especially public libraries here in the US. Try requesting a book from the front desk, they can most likely get it for you from another library, and they should not charge you for the service, either

Back