• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Library sales

Ell

I happened to be driving by the library on my way to the bank and saw a sign that read "BOOK SALE - Half Price!" Of course I couldn't resist :D

Here's what I got (for a total of $1.50 Canadian)

Last Man Standing -David Baldacci
Valhalla Rising -Clive Cussler
Bastard Out of Carolina -Dorothy Allison
East of the Mountains - David Guterson
The Rowan -Anne McCaffrey
- these are all hardcovers in great condition

Also 2 paperbacks: Gods and Generals byJeff Shaara, and The Two Generals by Richard Dreyfuss and Harry Turtledove.

Anyone else like book sales? Where do you buy your books?

I absolutely love book sales, especially since I'm always short on cash.

Usually, I just go to the library to find new books, and then, when I know I like them, I buy them myself, so they're always at my disposal if I want to read them again.

When I do have money, I still buy my books second hand or in book sales most of the time, so I can get more books with less money. I just hate how expensive those things tend to get!

Not so long ago, our local library sold its old books by the kilo, so I left with 12 kilo's worth of books; I think it cost me less than a dollar... :D

Wow! Those are great deals!!! I have had really good success finding books at library sales, but I have never gotten that terrific of a deal!

Library sale

12 kilos of books is a lot of books! Now that is a terrific deal.

I got my good deals because it also happened to be the last day of the book sale. Still, I couldn't believe the number of books in great condition. The librarian told me the David Baldacci and the 2 paperbacks were brand new - hadn't even been put out on the shelves yet. Should have asked her why.

I have to be honest: the books weren't in great shape --or brand new for that matter-- on the contrary! They were library books, what do you expect? :) It didn't really bother me though. After all, it's the content that matters, right?

Re-reading

Hi Lies,

I noticed that you mentioned in one of your replies above about buying books so that you have them at your disposal if you want to read them again.

I have never read a book for the second time and wonder what sort of sensation it is. Is it similar to watching a movie for the second time?

Obviously those books that you can't put down or stop reading until you know what happened next will not have the same impact or appeal.

What about those with a twist in the tail, can you read them for a second time and still get the same enjoyment out of them.

If I watch a movie for the second time it is usually after quite a time span when I have forgotten exactly what happened.

Ian.

I am much like you, Ian. I rarely read a book more than once. I think it really depends on the book. There are a few books (classics) that I have enjoyed as much the second time as I did the first, and sometimes I got more out of it the second time around.

Ian and Annabelle

I have read all the books I have at least twice. I have trouble getting new books so I have no choice. I will pick out one book that I like and then read it. Then I will go through the rest of my books until I get back to that first book. When I do it this way the only thing i can recall from the book are 1 or 2 highpoints. So its kind of like reading it for the first time. That works for me, and I just thought I would share it.

Hey Ian,

Let me try to tell you what "re-reading" really is to me. When I read a book that I'm extremely fond of, I take notes --subconsciously or not-- of the scenes in it that attracted me the most, and most of the time, that's what I remember the book by.

Some things trigger the memory of one of those scenes and make me think about the story --whether it's a movie, something someone says to me or whatever... and when I have time and the books at my disposal, I like to re-read that particular scene and be lost again.
Sometimes I finish the story, sometimes I begin from the start, sometimes that one part of the book satisfies my needs.

That's not always how it goes though. Sometimes I just get stressed or feel bouncy or just don't know what to do with myself, and I need something to calm me down, something familiar, something "soothing" if you like; something to hold on to, to keep me from getting lost inside my own head. The fact that I know what's going to happen in the story (I know some parts of the books I know by heart, don't ask me why) helps me get through those moods.

Re-reading books, re-feeling the same emotions I felt the first time, together with new emotions, keep it from getting boring. I have to admit that I really like to re-read books I read in my childhood as well. Makes me feel comfortable, makes me feel at ease. I know I must've read one particular book about 50 times over the past years. Crazy? I don't know, it's just who I am I guess.

Reading, to me, is much like listening to music. I don't get bored of songs, I don't get bored of books. If I hear a song and like it, I know that feeling is never going to go away. Same with books. There's always something new to discover in the process of reading or listening.

Maybe the fact that I'm not really a "thriller-girl" has something to do with it as well... I like my books to have a nice flow to them: just waves of words to crash upon me. This sometimes leaves out the "twist in the tail" part, though that sort of thing does occur in other genres as well, I'm aware of that, but that doesn't bother me none.

I hope this clears things a bit up? I really don't know how to put it differently. It's just a feeling I have about it, and I'm not that good at explaining feelings...

You've got me thinking now. I'm just browsing some of the books on my shelves and I must confess that there are some that I cannot remember what they're about in detail. I can remember some of the highlights.

I'll have to try re-reading one and see if it's as good as you say.

lies said,
Some things trigger the memory of one of those scenes and make me think about the story --whether it's a movie, something someone says to me or whatever... and when I have time and the books at my disposal, I like to re-read that particular scene and be lost again.
I tend to do the same. Sometimes, I'm just after a quote from one of the characters, then find myself reading the parts around the quote, then the entire chapter, and occasionally the entire book again.

They are usually books that don't have "surprise" endings and are more character-driven or, as in the case of sci-fi, have issues that are good to think about from time to time. I've also found that over the years, my opinions about things change and therefore, my opinions or view of books would naturally change. Case in point; I used to think Margaret Atwood was incredibly depressing, but now appreciate her rather dark and wry sense of humour.

Originally posted by Ian Sanders
You've got me thinking now. I'm just browsing some of the books on my shelves and I must confess that there are some that I cannot remember what they're about in detail. I can remember some of the highlights.
This is a good thread, and it addresses some deep-rooted psychological traits - and even points to political and social class distinctions. Perhaps without even meaning to do so.

Personally, I like to have books that I've bought. I like them to be mine. Whatever else that points to about my unconscious and/or subconscious mind, I can honestly say that books on my shelves tend to have historical resonance. That is to say I can look at a book and equate it with a particular time of my life, or a situation, or a contextual memory of which - if it weren't there, and I had returned it to a library - I might not be reminded.

Maybe that points to a deficient memory! All I know is that, for example, I might not be able to recall an event in my life - regardless of how minor - if the book I associate it with was gone.

Tobytook

I'd say I'm addicted to purchasing books. My aunt and I even made our own bookcase for them to store in my dorm. I suppose it's just comforting to look up and see the old favourites, know they're still there if ever i want to relive them, and to also see the ones that havent been devoured yet...waiting for me.

As for the beginning of this thread, I was at a local library book saleroom and noticed a cart of old books that had a sign for ten cents a piece (yes, an american I am)...anyways, i wheeled the whole cart up there...and it turns out that among these books, which the librarian said looked 'old and wornout, not worth much' was an 1862 shakespeares dramatic works, a late 19th century Les Miserables ...an old Main Street....and a few others that were amazing finds. God bless library book sales. (and ignorant librarians)

Gosh, I had to re-read as a child. My sisters and parents took me to the library a couple of times a week and bought me tons of books and I still ran out. I remember my mother once looking at a book I wanted her to buy me and saying, "It's too thin. You'll be through it before we get home." Now that I have a huge backlog of books to read (I'm a grad student), I can't afford to indulge.

I love library sales. I cleaned up at the last one I attended a few weeks before Christmas. On February 1, I will be at the Boston Public Library jostling for position and weighing my poor husband down like a pack mule.

Boy, what an interesting thread!
I do like going to library sales, but then I go where ever I have to to find second-hand books (within a radius of about 40 miles). The only thing I don't like about library sales is the "mania" that it seems to bring out in people (jostling, shoving, stepping on hands and feet).
I also re-read certain books fairly often. I've been through the Rex Stout "catalogue" 5 or 6 times, as well as the Encyclopedia Brown series and the Three Investigators series. I think it is probably a testament to the ability of certain authors to develope and maintain characters. After many re-readings, they are like old friends.
Also, though, I think it says something about my own psychological tendencies. As a general rule, I am not fond of change, so I also find a certain comfort in knowing that those characters are still there, "alive and vibrant", so to speak. (Particularly true of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.)

The library in town here is very small. RARELY is there sale--not that I wouldn't attempt to attend if they had one.

As far as the book comfort thought goes I agree completely. Books do become old friends after you rearead them. In fact thats one of my qualifiers for a really good book. I don't mind and often look forward to rereading it.

Back