• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Life on the Color Line: The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black

JimMorrison

Life on the Color Line: The True Story of a White Boy Who Discovered He Was Black BY: Gregory Howard Williams

anyone read this or know anything about this book?

i received a letter from my university saying i need to read it.

:confused:

P.S. I hope i posted this in the right section :p

I haven't read this book, but I have thought about it. Supposed to be good, but that's according to reviewers and other people whose opinions I don't care for. I've picked it up a couple times in the book store, but have yet to end up purchasing it. You'll have to let us all know how it is, I'd be interested to hear.

mehastings said:
I haven't read this book, but I have thought about it. Supposed to be good, but that's according to reviewers and other people whose opinions I don't care for. I've picked it up a couple times in the book store, but have yet to end up purchasing it. You'll have to let us all know how it is, I'd be interested to hear.

I will be picking it up soon and i will definitely keep you posted

anyone else?

i just finished the book and am very moved.

it is a very poignant and inspirational book. it tells the story of a very determined and strong willed boy living on the color line. he is half black and half white and faces tremendous obstacles and discrimination. the blacks dont fully accept him and the whites hate him. in a time of racial prejudice gregory is caught right in the middle of the onslaught.

a mother that abandoned him, a drunk father, a hustling brother and a precocious young boy make up this story.

he had an undying passion to make it and be successful. his story of survival is very heart felt.

i recommend this to anyone.

For a moment I thought you meant the book behind the film "human stain", dont know if you have seen it? The film with Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman.

Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
For a moment I thought you meant the book behind the film "human stain", dont know if you have seen it? The film with Anthony Hopkins and Nicole Kidman.

Flower

nope, has nothing to do with the book.

JimMorrison said:
nope, has nothing to do with the book.

I know its not the same book, but its the same theme!
In "Human Stain" you see a black boy growing up, pretending to be a jew, works as a proffesor and no one thinks he is black. But the truth ends up appearing in his life in ways he could not imagine. Its about race, age and family and I think Anthony Hopkins does a wonderfull job in this film.

Flower

Back