• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

List of B&B in London?

direstraits

List of B&Bs in London?

Guys... my parents will be visiting London next month (or is it the month after?), and they are thinking of staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Where could I find a list of good (and reasonably priced) B&Bs in and around London?

Any B&B you'd particularly recommend?

I could do a quick search on the Internet, but I thought nothing beats asking people who actually live in England. :)

Thanks for the help guys...

ds

Hey DS,

You could start HERE.
If you're looking for personal recommendations then it would depend on what part of London they want to stay in. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to them whilst they're in London.

Gem... that's so nice, thanks for the link and for offering! :) I don't know what'll interest them, to be honest, so I'd let them wander on their own. My mom especially has wanted to visit England since I don't know how long - there's no telling where she'll want to go.

They are on a Europe trip, and will be going to other countries after England. Curiously, they only asked about B&Bs in London - I think they have accommodations all done up in the other countries. I'll ask them tomorrow.

ds

Gem said:
Hey DS,

You could start HERE.
If you're looking for personal recommendations then it would depend on what part of London they want to stay in. Let me know if I can be of any assistance to them whilst they're in London.

Nice, Gem. I haven't been to London yet. Which of those three areas would you recommend especially for a g'ma who likes to walk and who simply loves English history?

SIL are you coming to London?Yay!:D

I'd recommend any place that is reasonably priced and as close as possible to Victoria train/underground station (DS, that goes for your parents too).

Sightseeing in London means a great deal of walking, and extensive use of the London Underground - so no matter where you want to go (i.e. Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, etc etc) chances are you'll have to pass through Victoria station.

Also open-top bus tours start mainly at Victoria, tourist information office is there, and the coach station is a short walk away from the train station if you have the urge to escape the city and go see Oxford etc. Oh and Buckingham Palace is a short walk from there too.

History and walking? Me too...I've heard good things about these people, but haven't as yet tried them myself...http://www.walks.com/
There are countless other ones as well - historical walks, ghost walks, etc etc, I'm off away for a couple weeks but when I get back I'll give you some links - that is if you're coming of course - (and you'd better be!)

Thanks for the extremely useful info, Gem. Where're you off to? :) I'm not doing any extensive traveling for a couple of years yet, but London is definitely right up there on my list.

Gem (or anyone)... what is the average you'd pay for a B&B in London, and outside London? Is 40 pounds pricey?

ds

Good questions DS, I'm hoping to make it to London in the next year. I've always wanted to go there and now it's not as far as it had been :)

Ah, London, the best city in the world!

For accommodation and advice on what to do and where to go try:
http://www.londontown.com/
http://www.visitlondon.com/

I think they both offer an online booking service to make things easier.

Personal recommendation: if it's your first trip to London, definitely go on a Big Bus Tour http://www.bigbustours.com/
It's £20 for a ticket, which you can use for the next 24 hours, you also get a free walking tour and boat trip. There are two different tours - red route (all the main attractions); blue route (main attractions plus a bit more). The red route has a live commentary, and if you get the right person these can be hilarious.

London Walks are fantastic. They do walks every day on loads of different subjects. They last about two hours but they're really not at all taxing.

With the London Pass it really depends on how much you think you'll use it. You get free entry to a lot of places on the tourist trail and transport as well. If you can get to two sites on each day, I'd say it's worth it.

London hotels are pricey. If you can find one for only £40 a night, you've done well. But make sure it's Visit Britain approved. At that price you might not be getting very much. All the ones on the Visit London site should be ok. No promises though because they are known to play fast and loose with their own rules...

I guess the main places to tick off would be St Paul's, the Tower of London, Changing of the Guard and Harrods. Plus a gallery or museum of some kind. The British Museum is really quite wonderful. You could lose yourself for days in it. http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk

That should be enough for the time being. Apart from, always used licensed black cabs. They won't fleece you and they always know where they're going.

Hey Honeybee... thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated. :)

I guess the main thing really is whether having the London Pass is a good idea, because my father is not really a museam kinda guy, and my more is more interested in shopping than sightseeing (just marginally, I think). I'll let them know of your recommendations.

This one is a wild toss to the winds: if I were to travel from Lake Calais to Amsterdam, which mode of transportation should I take, train, bus or swim?

Thanks!

ds

I was just in London last June and I got a London Pass. I never really sat down and added up all the things I did with it to see if it was worth the money or not, but it was nice to know I had it. It seems like I used it an awful lot. One thing that was nice was that I went to the Hard Rock Cafe at 7:00 on a Saturday night and the pass gets you to the front of the queue. That night there was a two-hour wait, so it was well worth it for that. We also got a free hot fudge sundae. :p

The one bad thing about the London pass was that I was sent three different places to pick it up. Nobody seemed to have their stories straight on that one. Fortunately I didn't have trouble finding the places, but it might be a little daunting if you don't know where you're going.

One thing that I found invaluable was the unlimited-use tube passes that I bought while still in the U.S. The tube is AWESOME and got me everywhere I wanted to go in London. I strongly recommend getting one of those.

I also got the double-decker bus tour and enjoyed that as well. It's a nice thing to do the first day you get to London to start to learn your way around.

StillIlearn said:
Thanks for the extremely useful info, Gem. Where're you off to? I'm not doing any extensive traveling for a couple of years yet, but London is definitely right up there on my list.

Sorry Still - I left before I saw your post. It's a shame you're not coming to London anytime soon - I'd planned about a dozen things :rolleyes: .

DS, are your parents all prepared now for their trip?

Ronny! - Hello, how are you? you're much closer to London now, so you have no excuse not to come :) .

Back