• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Literary Puzzles

HBinjection

Howdy, Folks!

I work for a newspaper and we were sent a promotionial copy of a book of short stories called "The Whistle Pig" by Duck Miller.

It's a literary puzzle, and the book starts with a description of "The Hunt" for "an unmistakable key" somewhere within the borders of the United States. Clues to find the key are hidden in the book.

The stories are short, but enjoyable. 'Duck Miller' is a false name, and I think I found who the real author is, but the clues are tough to crack.

There is no page '10' (actually, I don't have the book in front of me, so I'm not sure if it's exactly 10, but there is a page missing) and one of the pages has an 'x' instead of a number.

The stories themselves are full of cryptic passages, but if I weren't looking for clues, they might seem very normal.

I've heard that literary puzzles of this nature are more popular in the UK than they are stateside.

Would anyone with experience with these types of books tell me what they are all about? Perhaps if I saw what clues from other puzzles look like, then I would be able to spot them better.

We were thinking of printing a review, or an interview with the author, in the paper, but we want to make sure their is nothing dangerous about this before we unleash 'Duck Miller' on our readers.

I have a book here that's called The Merlin Mistery, and that's pretty much the same thing as you're describing here. I started reading, but decided it wasn't my cup of tea, so I don't think I can be of any help here. You bringing this up does make me wonder though... Did they find the money? I'll see what google has to say.

Hiya

I've found some information on possibly the most famous of these book, in the UK that is, written by Kit Williams.
Having owned the books and tried to solve the puzzles I can tell you that they were not easy. The book with alternative clues, hare and burial spot was also produced for the Italian market.

Quest for the Golden Hare - Quest
Author - Kit Williams

Hope this may help and give you some more information/reference points for your review (if I'm not too late that is).

Edit - forgot to mention that the links above give detailed answers to the clues posed within the 'Masquerade' (Quest for the Golden Hare) book.

I remember all the publicity surrounding that Golden Hare book! Did anyone actually solve it and win the prize?

It was found in Ampthill Park in the mid to late 1980s. It was quite funny because we had the book and only lived two miles away at the time! Funnily enough, it wasn't us that found the treasure...

Thanks Clara! You must have been kicking yourselves though ...
I'm absolutely hopeless at solving anything like that.

Back