• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Little Girl Lost - Barbie Probert-Wright

dizzyshelly

I have just finished reading this book about two German sisters who had to walk through war torn Germany to find their mother. I've never really read books about the war (although I have read fiction books that are set in the war etc) so all I know of the war is from history lessons and films. And even the films tend to be from a soliders point of view or English peoples point of view of living in the war (probably down to me living in England!:rolleyes: )
Anyways, I've never really thought of the war from a normal German persons point of view, but this book really opened my eyes to how horrible it must be for them as well!
Has any one read else read this? Or any good books similar?

"A Woman In Berlin" might be worth checking out. Fair warning, though, it's pretty disturbing in that it depicts what happened to the civilians of Berlin and especially the women as the Red Army took control of the city. It's not necessarily graphic, but chilling in how it describes what people will do to survive, how thin that coat of civilization can be sometimes.

For balance, I'm sure someone could suggest some books from a Polish or Russian perspective.

Back