• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Local Authors

Thickney

kickbox
I'm sure we all have a lot of local authors who may not be big outside of their town, province, state, or country, so why not share about them and their works?

Leo Mckay Jr. - A writer from my hometown who isn't exactly prolific (one book of short stories and one novel as of yet), but makes up for it in quality. His book of short stories, Like This was shortlisted for the 1995 Giller Prize (very big deal in Canada). If you can ever find that or his novel Twenty-Six, which is an extremely well written and accurate story set in the post-industrial cesspool that rural/small town Nova Scotia is, you should definitely get it.

Alistair Macleod - Another great author, from Cape Breton. I can't personally relate as much to his writing as much as to Mckay's, but he is still a great storyteller, with most of his writings set in the mid 20th century fishing and mining communities of the Cape. His short story collection The Lost Salt Gift of Blood was standard reading throughout highschool, and I enjoyed it a lot.

(If I think of any more, I'll edit them in...)

Back