• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Locating book from childhood

Ice

I'm trying to find a copy of a book I had as a child but am not having much luck as I can't remember the Author or the title.

The story follows a girl, who goes to stay with her Uncle and his family in Scotland. She is dark haired and dark eyed, a trait which is passed down from her Uncle's side of the family. The Uncle is the protector of a horse who rises from a Lake (the name Innes also seems to ring a bell).

Has anyone got any ideas?

Don't worry if you don't - the last book I tried to find - no one else had ever heard of :rolleyes:

The Black Loch (1963) / The Horse from the Black Loch (1979) by Patricia Leitch :)

Though sadly out of print.

She wrote a series of twelve books about a girl called Jinny and her chestnut arabian mare, Shantih. Very very good for girls mad on horses.

As I recall, one of the books in the series (Chestnut Gold) followed the theme of horses rising from lochs etc.

Anyway, her books are thoroughly good and I would recommend them. I enjoyed them enough to carry on reading them into my twenties anyway!

Thanks Ice! :) I loved Patricia Leitch - I read a lot of her books and all the Shantih ones (excellent), but I didn't read these "Black Loch" ones. (I read pony books obsessively when I was young!) Was it her that also wrote the "Jill" series (pony stories)?

Halo said:
Thanks Ice! :) I loved Patricia Leitch - I read a lot of her books and all the Shantih ones (excellent), but I didn't read these "Black Loch" ones. (I read pony books obsessively when I was young!) Was it her that also wrote the "Jill" series (pony stories)?
:) I also read several pony books when I was younger (I loved the Black Stallion series :D ) I really enjoyed Leitch's Jinny series too.

I'm pretty sure the "Jill" series you are thinking of were written by Ruby Ferguson. I wish I still had all my children's books - there are several I'd love to read again but it looks like I'm not going to be able to as several of them are now out of print :(

Though we did find an almost complete collection of Hardy Boy's books when clearing out Phil's room which i'm definately going to read again :p

It was indeed Ruby Ferguson who wrote the 'Jill' series (I'm also a pony mad obsessive).

You can actually get copies of all her books from ebay - just type her name into the search engine, and you should get lots. That's how I brought the entire series a few months back.

That's right! A few hours after I posted I remembered the author's first name was Ruby, but I couldn't remember the surname. I remember feeling rather cheated by the fact that (as far as I can remember) she wrapped up the "Jill" series by having Jill "grow up" and realise that she would have to give up her ponies and go out and get a proper secretarial job or something. :( Not something a pony-mad girl wants to hear! Who wants reality?! :)

Like Magemanda, I think I read two thirds of the Jinny series when I was in my twenties! I had read about 4 or 5 when young, then one day in the bookshop I saw she had written about 12, so I bought them all straightaway!! Felt kind of embarrassed, but so what - they're excellent! I never throw books away, so I am lucky enough to still have all these childhood books somewhere in the house - I think they're all in boxes in the loft. Just hope they haven't got damaged up there, it would be cool to read them again! :)

I never throw books away either - but when I left home, my parents boxed up all my books and put them in the garage (where they got ruined :( ) So they ended up throwing them away as they were unreadable - I was devastated at the time as I had some first edition Enid Blyton Books etc passed down from great aunts and elderly friends of the family which are not replaceable :(

I have never bought any second hand books but if I'm intent on trying to obtain copies then I think I may have to start :eek:

Ice said:
I never throw books away either - but when I left home, my parents boxed up all my books and put them in the garage (where they got ruined :( )

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!! :( :( :(

Ice said:
I have never bought any second hand books but if I'm intent on trying to obtain copies then I think I may have to start :eek:

Hmm, that sounds like me - I'm not keen on second-hand books at all, I like new ones that I know have been looked after, but I too have had to buy second hand to find childhood books.

Back