• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lois Lowry: The Giver

fourh mom

I recently read this book and the ending just left me hanging. I'm figuring both Gabriel and Jonas died. Then I figured that The Giver had suggested for him to run away 'cause he was causing trouble and, indeed, asking TOO many questions.

I reckon I've seen too many movies and have been out of school too long but... I just can't seem to sink my teeth into the ending of this book. They symbolism (some of it anyway) I get and I understood almost right away that Jonas was seeing something in the apple that everyone else wasn't - maybe, I thought, it was some sort of 'Matrix' thing.

But the ending!!!! ????? Are they still alive? Did he suceed??? And then, Rosemary's release - I can understand how THAT would send the memories out amongst the people but for Jonas to simply run away???? And why was the memory of the sled 'his' memory???

HELP!!!!! :) sylvia

I loved this book, but I really, really hated the ending. I hate open endings - the author told us the rest, so why can't they tell us what happened in the end? :mad: I did feel cheated, to be honest. I guess your take on it depends on whether you are an optimist or a pessimist, as I can't really find any clues that tell you one way or another.

The only thing I can think of re Jonas' departure releasing the memories, is that it was because he had left the community and was beyond their reach. But I'm not sure! I would have to have another look at the book to discuss it in more detail. Great book though - it sends a chill down your spine when barbaric things are dealt with so matter-of-factly, especially Jonas' father and the baby (*shudder*).

I just read this book, so here's my take on it.

I think they suceeded, but living or dying doesn't matter.
I think they died, and the ending was a hallucination. Experts say that just before you freeze to death, you feel warm
As long as they weren't with the community, Jonas' memories would be released to them all and they would all have to deal with emotions and such. And the Giver stayed behind so he could help them deal with it.

And I don't think Jonas was causing any trouble..

The memory of the sled was his memory because once the Giver had given it to him, the Giver didn't have it anymore.

Halo- books like this always make me wonder if a utopian society is really a good thing.

cajunmama said:
Halo- books like this always make me wonder if a utopian society is really a good thing.

Definitely. It seems that in order to have this utopia, compassion is the first thing to go. It's like, Is this baby perfect and capable of being a valuable part of our society? If the answer is no, then get rid of it - problem solved. And then there was the matter of the pilot at the beginning - he screwed up in his training and was then "released". This casual attitude to people's lives was staggering and horrifying to me.

Trying to achieve a utopian society invariably means that the government has to be completely in charge down to the smallest rule, and individual freedom is lost, as in this book. I don't think it will ever be possible to have a utopian society while people still have freedom of choice.

BTW, I think you were right in what you said about the book, cajunmama.

I agree, Halo,
I think it was Benjamin Franklin (feel free, anyone to correct me if I am wrong) said something like " He who gives up freedom for security is a fool."
Everything in The Giver was so safe, but there was no choice in anything.

Personally, i don't care for that book. left me hanging at the end :confused: !
I wished Lois Lowry should have made the ending better.

cajunmama said:
I just read this book, so here's my take on it.

I think they suceeded, but living or dying doesn't matter.
I think they died, and the ending was a hallucination. Experts say that just before you freeze to death, you feel warm
As long as they weren't with the community, Jonas' memories would be released to them all and they would all have to deal with emotions and such. And the Giver stayed behind so he could help them deal with it.

And I don't think Jonas was causing any trouble..

The memory of the sled was his memory because once the Giver had given it to him, the Giver didn't have it anymore.

I'm still pretty new here. Uh..... what exactly is a 'spoiler'?? sylvia

Hi sylvia! A "spoiler" is something you reveal about the book that might spoil it for someone who hasn't read it, such as the ending, or the murderer in a whodunnit. It is the done thing to either hide such a spoiler, or indicate that there will be spoilers in the title of your thread. Anyone not doing this will have their library card taken away. ;)

To hide a spoiler under the black, type [ spoiler ] before the text you want to hide, and [ /spoiler ] after it, but without the spaces in the square brackets.

To view spoilers hidden under the black, click at the beginning of the black, hold the button down and drag your mouse along the black part. The text will be magically revealed!!

Hope that helps! :)

Back