• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lois McMaster Bujold

Hollis

Does anyone have any comments about her books? I just checked out a few because my best friend has been going on and on about how they're her favorite sci-fi series. I was just curious what other people thought.

Well, the name of the author doesn't ring a bell but that doesn't mean much. What are some of the titles you are talking about?

Funny you should mention this author now. I just completed "The Curse of Chalion" by her. It had a bit of court drama mixed with a bit of wizardry. I hadn't heard of her before seeing the book on the shelf at the bookstore. (It had a 20% off sticker!) According to the inside back cover, the series you speak of, Hollis, is "Vorkosigan Saga". The first was published in 1986 - "Shards of Honor". I may have to look for it at the library. Also according to the same cover, she's won the Nebula Award for "Falling Free" and three Hugo Awards for Best Novel:
The Vor Game
Barrayar
Mirror Dance

It's always nice to find a "new" author, isn't it?

Seems interesting ... and an lternative I hadn't heard about so far to my classics in SF. I might try after difgging myself into Herbert's son's Butlerian Jihad now. ;)
Morry

If you're into military science fiction with intrigue, Bujold's one of the masters. Loved the Vorkosikan saga.

She's also branched into fantasy recently- 2 books so far, the first being 'The Curse of Chalion'

I've read the first two of her books. I thought they were really good. But I havent been able to find any more around where I live

Found it! :)

Bujold has a deceptively simple but clear language, and draws you along very nicely wovens stories. My impression is it's easy to read, but by no means easy entertainment. Plenty of politics and intrigue, for her Vorkosigan stuff as well as for Curse of Chalion.

I first found out about her from the Internet Top 100 Scifi and Fantasy List I posted here sometime back. I was very curious of this writer whom I've never heard of but is highly rated in the list.

I've read Curse of Chalion (which was very good), Vor Game and Shards of Honor (as both ebooks). I've got her other Vorkosigans too, but I'm starting at the beginning. :)

Anybody else reading her?

ds

Anybody else reading her?

Well read her:)

She is most know of course for her Sci-fi (vorsogian sequence), really space opera at a high level. I loved her recent work in fantasy, Curse of Chalion, which I think is better than the quasi-sequel (not a direct sequel) Paladin of Souls which ended up winning the Hugo and Locus best novel of the years awards, hwoever was not a financial success. Eagerly awaiting the next novel The Hallowed Hunt due June, to see the cover click here

fantasybookspot.com

Back