• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

London

Sapper41

Has anyone read the book London by Edward Rutherfurd? If so what did you think of it? I've read reviews from other sites but I need to here the opinions of my trusted book forum! Also alot of you are from that area so I would consider you experts.

Not a Londoner, but I enjoyed it. The format is very Michener, each chapter is a new time period with new characters. I have the Forest by Rutherfurd to read at some point.

I've also read it and enjoyed it. It was like reading several books all tied together by the virtue they were based in London over the ages.

I haven't got round to reading London yet, but I will soon along with Sarum and Russka - I enjoyed The Forest and liked Rutherfurd's style of writing :)

Everytime I go to bookshop, I nearly buy them cos others said Rutherford's books are good. I will buy them one day!

I started it and put it down about 150 pages in. It seemed slow and I anticipated a v. long trodge with little to pull me along.

That said, my hub read it and liked it very much. We're both interested in Roman Britain and lived in London for some time (he's English), but I think the real difference was that he is much more into nonfiction history and historical fiction of the saga variety (Barbara Tuchman comes to mind.)

I might pick it up again. Not a direct correlative, but I did love Robert Graves' I, Claudius (and other of his books), but IMO Graves' is a genius storyteller. His collected short stories are WAY underrated. Really stunning.

Robert Graves is just underrated in general.

If you like Michener or that style you'll like him fine. But because it's a new set of characters every chapter it's not as character driven, and it's more like reading short stories than a novel.

Back