• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking For 70s PB fictional history France ~end-of-dark-ages?

pgtr

I'm looking for a paperback or set of paperbacks that I had bought new back in the late 1970s.

On the cover were some older stylized middle ages looking pictures of nights on horseback etc. The cover may have been mostly 'beige' and the picture on front may have had a fair bit of 'red' in it - again a stylized picture looking like an old tapestry or something maybe...

The author 'may' have been a woman but obviously I can't recall the name at all.

The story was historical fiction recounting several characters one of whom was named 'Hugo'. As I recall around the end of the middle ages and getting into various struggles about differences in the church in France and characters representing different 'classes' like knights, merchants etc. THe plot involved some issues about 'heresy' or 'heretics' and meeting secretly.

There was at least one book but it may have been a couple of books in a 'series'.

I know it's a long shot but that's about the best I can do from memory. I always wanted to go back and revisit this book(s) but now after so many years cannot recall anything more. Prowling used bookstores and what not has not helped and thought I'd give it a shot here.

thanks!

Back