• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a Book like the game "The Longest Journey"

Female protagonist, magic, and dragons.

How about reading some of the books listed as inspiration for the game.

Other inspirations for the game included Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and The Books of Magic, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Joss Whedon's writing in general.

You can try Eon: The Dragon Eye Reborn and Eona: The Last Dragon Eye by Alison Goodman.

The Golden Compass (Dark Materials Series) Phillip Pullman.

The Sword Mage Series by Martin Hengst.

Eragon (Inheritance Cycle Series) by Christopher Paolini

Basil Broketail Series by Christopher Rowley.

Last edited:
Female protagonist, magic, and dragons.

How about reading some of the books listed as inspiration for the game.

Other inspirations for the game included Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and The Books of Magic, Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Joss Whedon's writing in general.

These are mainly comic books, not necessarily what I meant.

Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters Series has magic and female protagonists but no dragons.

Actually many of her books have female protagonists.

Melanie Rawn - The Dragon Prince series has several strong female characters as well as her Star Scroll Series.

Thank you Meadow337, you are really helpful and I think that The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman might be good for me, but let me be more specific.

(By the way I'm a reader from Poland so forgive me any problems with my English ;))

I really liked this game when I was ten, now I'm 24, I still love the plot but maybe more adulter books could be more relevant for me. Besides I don't very much like stories including dragons (except Dragon Griaule by Lucius Shepard). So I could treat books for youngster's as return to childhood, but I'm afraid that they could be sometimes too childish for me (Dark Materials Series are also enjoyable for adults as I read in some opinions). I like more science-fiction than fantasy (my favourite books are "Blindsight" by Peter Watts and "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson) but parallel worlds, one industrial (Stark) and one magic (Arcadia) where the second one is permeating into the first one which is the main intrigue in the whole story is very interesting for me. Anyway my main concern in The Longest Journey are dillemas of young student April Ryan who is really ordinary lonely girl trying understand what is happening in her world, she is some kind of "from zero to hero", but always modest.

1. I did not assume you wanted children's books. Every book I suggested I have read as an adult reader.

2. The more specific you are the better suggestions you get. I made suggestions based on the information you gave in the wiki article.

So what do you want? Parallel worlds? Female protagonist? Clearly not particularly fantasy. Sci-fi? A protagonist struggling with identity or thrust into a foreign world unexpectedly?

I'm sorry for not being very specific at first time, so here is my hierarchy:

1. A protagonist struggling with identity or thrust into a foreign world unexpectedly.
2. Female protagonist
3. Sci-fi
4. Parallel worlds

For something completely different encompassing a female protagonist thrust into a different world (the past) you can try Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger also crosses genre boundaries but fundamentally is about a man dealing with a very difficult personal condition.

Neverwhere and Stardust and Coraline by Neil Gaiman deal with alternate worlds.

Amber Chronicles - Roger Zelazny

just off the top of my head.

It looks that every book you recommended may fit me, I'm going to the library right now! Thank you very much :)

Back