• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a book - Please help!

robbrown

Hi,

I am a teacher looking for either a fiction or non-fiction book. I am in desperate need of help, any of which is greatly appreciated.

Here's why I need the book:
I have a student in my class who is going through a little bit of a tough time. She throughout enjoys reading, is very bright, and is 16.

Here's the gist of the story that I'm looking for:

A girl or woman who is withdrawn from friends / family and works though her problems to triumph.

My intentions are obvious. I believe that involving her in discussion and assignments relating to events similar in her life presented in something that she trusts (the book) will help her to begin to overcome her problems.

Again, any help is greatly appreciated. I have been desperately trying to find a book like this.

Well, I can tell you of a book that's like that, but it's a boy in the story instead. Still a great teen book though.

It's called "The Outsiders" by S.E. Hinton

All her books in that series were good.

A quick read, for an adult, if you wanted to check it out first.

Other than that, have you check out Judy Bloom? She has a lot of good story's for young teen girls.

Maybe "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret." ?

Hope that helps.

Well...

When I was going through a tough time, the best book for me was 'Bringing Out The Dead' by Joe Connelly. It is grim but it made me feel like I wasn't alone in hating my job and being afraid all the time. Plus I felt no one but my wife really understood just how burnt out I felt.
After reading this book I felt priveliged not to be as bad off as the guy in it.
Please trust me, if you give her this book she will get a lot better.:)

I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions except for "The Outsiders" (which is a gang book actually) which has already been suggested above. Judy Bloom or Beverly Cleary is another good suggestion. Bless you though for taking the time to care for this girl. Good luck.

Back