• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a good sci fi book (series?)

Aimforthehead

I am looking for a sci fi book or book series:

What I like:
Mature, realistic, gritty, diplomacy / communications with aliens, believable aliens, good balance of action and drama, romance is good but only as another element to the story rather than the key driving plot, villains and protagonists with a lot of depth (In other words I want a very gray world, not black and white).

What I don't like:
Aliens that speak English without explanation (this one I can manage, just a small peeve), too much emphasis on the super fancy technology the future will have, "Aliens hidden among us" - type stories, I'm ok with some unexplained science fiction things but I am not looking for a science fantasy book, one dimensional characters, cliche "Earth Alliance vs. invading aliens" plot (Basically nothing that is as simple as good vs. evil, if it is more complicated than that then humans vs. aliens is ok), a child protagonist that has special abilities that end up helping them save the world or doing anything ridiculous like that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time!

What have you already read within the genre? I'm not a Sci-Fi guy by nature. My experience is mainly limited to Dune and the Military Sci-Fiction genres (and even there only the major tomes). If you haven't jumped too deeply into there, though, I can toss out a few names.

Back