• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

looking for a kind, funny adventerous book....

Just back from a book store. I was looking for something nice, but did not find. I was so sorry that I already read the Mark Twein. It would be exactly what I would like to read now. Funny and kind.
Then, I was sorry that I read Astrid Lindgren's Karlson series. I was sorry that I read already the several first Harry Potters before this never-ending-story started to get into my nerves and became too predictable. Ender's game, Asimov's robopsycologist series, some of Terry Pratchet.... I regret that I read them all and I do not have to discover them from the beginning!

May be somebody has some suggestions on something adventerous, but kind, with a scence of humor, where the good win and the bad disappear? Not very childlish, but still cute, smart and funny?

Would be very thankful :cool:

Try Wilbur Smith "Monsoon" & "River God"....... or Ken Follet, "The Pillar of the Earth" & "The Eye of the Niddle", these books will keep you biting your nails....

My favorite book of 2006 was a very sweet, kind of strange story about a an obese man who loses his parents, then finds out his only sister is dead after she had been missing for 30 years. It's called "The Memory of Running" by Ron McLarty, and it follows the main character on his journey to bury his sister and find some peace. It is an excellent book, and it sounds like something you might enjoy.

Funny

Try Nobble Hospital of the Aegean by Paul Judges, which is a very funny, compassionate, and different story

:)

It seems like you have described "The Wind in the Willows". It's not as childish as most other books, and it is very fun for a quick read. Not too mention it is a classic.

The Bartimaeus Trilogy. It is so, so awesome. I wouldn't say it's "kind" and I will warn you, if you decide to read it, that one of the main characters (Nathaniel) starts out as a good guy, a twelve-year-old kid. When we meet him again in the second book, he's slowly turning into a bad guy, but in the third book he realizes his mistakes and becomes a good guy again. And the good guys win...even though the ending's kinda bittersweet in a way. It was definitely a very funny and very smart book, and the characters were all very memorable.

http://www.bartimaeustrilogy.com/home.html You can read excerpts and things like that here.

Back