• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for a new series to read

RyviusRan

I have finished Terrry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series a couple of months ago and finally my thirst for another book to read has brought me to ask for someone to give me a direction.

these are some of the books I have read and enjoyed.

Author: Terry Goodkind

Book: Sword of Truth series (all)

Author: Robert Jordan

Book: The wheel of Time series ( up to volume 9 story was starting to turn stale)

Author: Tad williams

Book: War of the Flowers
Book: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series

Author: Elizabeth Haydon

Book: Symphony of Ages series

Author: Kate Elliot

Book: Crown of Stars series (up to volume 4)

those are some of the ones I have read and enjoyed alot, I have many more but right now I am having trouble remembering them all.

what I really enjoy is a book written towards a mature audience. That is why I liked Terry Goodkind's books so much. I don't want anything held back. I Generally like fantasy but it has to be something that has some sort of twist to it becuase alot of the fantasy writers I see are a little to generic. The Sword of Truth series was able to keep me interested and made me actually care for the characters, it also has my most hated character in it "Emperor Jagang". Some people didn;t like how gruesome some parts were but I like it to be more realistic in the sense of what may happen. Others may have had problems later in the series with the large amounts of dialogue and too much objectivist ideas. But I have to say that the "Faith of the Fallen" book of the series beats every book out there that I have read, there is just competition with that one.

I enjoyed Robert Jordan's series but after the 9th book the series was starting to drag for too long, they were focusing on too many characters and it felt like it was going no where.

I liked Tad Williams "The War of the flowers" alot becuase it combined reality with fantasy and the main character felt very much like the reader since neither one of them new much about the world of Fantasy that they had entered.

The Crown of Stars series by Kate Elliott focueses on two characters for most of the story it is easy to follow at first then picks up. I liked how one of the main characters starts of with very little then gains nobility and then loses everything, having less than what he started out with, then he gains something of inmaterial value which surpassed everything he gained before.

Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages series is one of the few ones that enjoy reading where the main character is the female. Not sure why but I enjoyed the series alot.....it's been a while since I read it so I kind of forgot the story.

Based on what you like, I think The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie would work for you. It's realistic fantasy (as much as there is such a thing). There are enough characters to keep the story interesting but not so many that you need to make a list and take notes. The characters are growing and developing and it feels natural -- it's because of what they're going through, not a contrivance of the author. The story starts slowly though, so if you need slam-bang action from the beginning, you'll be disappointed.

Wheel of Time books 7-10 the plot barely moves along at all. Book after book I felt like I was reading hundred of pages of the same thing.

Book 11 finally sees the plot advance. If you can plow through book 10, then book 11 will reward you, plus you get to see what happens when Lews Therin gets a hold of Saidin, (kicks but and takes names, way cool). They didn't call him "the Dragon" because of his breath.

I would suggest George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I read the first few but some of the violence got to me - definitely mature reading. I've been thinking about picking them up again because the characters were awesome and I keep wondering what happens to them.

I would suggest George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I read the first few but some of the violence got to me - definitely mature reading. I've been thinking about picking them up again because the characters were awesome and I keep wondering what happens to them.

yah I finished book two on that series a while back.

might try rereading it, but I remember getting bored of the series for some reason. Yes the series is very mature with details in various sexual and gruesome areas.

I have searched a little bit and decided to get the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. Although I am still open for ideas. Oh and I will look up the The First Law trilogy too.

Oh and I will look up the The First Law trilogy too.

If you do, beware -- my copy of the second book (Before They Are Hanged) is missing about 20 pages. Anyone buying the paperback should look at page 382 and see if page 383 is next, not 415 like mine.

That's a first for me. I've bought hundreds of books, including small press offerings, and have never found pages missing.

Don't let this put you off though -- it's an excellent series.

You might like the newer Raymond E Fiest series starting at talon of the silver hawk. Fiest is an execptional fantasy author. Also i finished reading a book today which was three books in one by david anthony durham called Acacia. It was excellent definently a more mature read and one of the best fantasy books ive read in a while. But not really a series yet

If you're in the mood for more "sword and sorcery" type fiction, the Recluce Saga by L.E. Modisett, JR. is worthwhile. The magic system in the series is innovative, and there is more than enough there to keep even the most avid reader busy for a good long while. I thoroughly recommend it.

If you liked Elizabeth Haydon, you should also consider the works of Sara Douglass. I haven't read all her work, but The Axis Trilogy was enjoyable.

The Kingdom Chronicles

In following with all those great authors, I personally am not as good but have recieved some excellent reviews on my series, The Kingdom Chronicles. The first book is called A King's Quest, and since Im heading to Iraq soon the second will be out by next month, called A King's Task.

Synopsis, In my world the Elvynn believe that they should rule and used to. Two thousand years ago they were banished by the gods and all the other lesser races, humans, dwarves halflings gnomes were all freed from their slavery. The Elvynn still believe that they are the worlds masters and now with their banishment ending they are about to return to the world of men and take back what they think is rightfully theirs, their slaves. They have laid the foundations of chaos throughout the fourteen kingdoms and their government is about to collapse. That is where my book A King's Quest starts, with one man told he is supposedly the King who is to stop this but he isnt.

Impressed by john marco and the eyes of god series also guy gavriel kay with the books a song for arbonne and the lions of al-rassan both great reads

Back