• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

looking for a SciFi war

KnockAr0und-Guy

I am reading now Orphanage by Robert Buettner but I'm not really exited about it. It's not what I've expected. First of all it's on Earth. But ok, I can go with that. Secondly, It's short term time, I mean not in the far future. But I can even go with that. What I did not like in this book is that Robert Buettner is not even making up stuff. He's using all the "last century" stuff like M-16, TV, books etc...
But what I do like is his style of writing.
Now, I'm on page 66 (capter 9) so of course I'll finish the book, but i'm looking for something else. Something with more fantasy and imagination, adventures, wars, politics... with more Planets, Races, Weapons, Vehicles, Starships and stuff like that, that the author made up.
you know what? why amd I writing all this? I'll just show you a few pictures of a book that I'm looking for...[a picture worth a thousand words] :
http://img254.echo.cx/img254/1879/luisroyodorsaii2xt.jpg
http://img233.echo.cx/img233/5454/luisroyodorsaiomnibus4dc.jpg

and by the way, I am a big fan of Star Wars. I love this 'creation' and I'm looking for something similar.

I've heard that these books are good, that I'll like 'em. I need your opinion about them:
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Armor by John Steakley
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that what I'm looking for?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Thank you very much for your help !!

OHH and something else, but very important !!
I DO NOT like all the bugs and insects stories...like fighting against huge alien bugs and stuff......

I love 'Starship Troopers' by Robert A. Heinlein. It's one of my favourite books.

It has imaginative stuff like planets, races, weapons, starships and et cetera but the highlight is the military training, strategy, politics and philosphy. There are lots of developments from present time but like most books by Heinlein it's tied to Terran culture. So it might not exactly be what you're looking for but I still don't think that you'll be disappointed by it.

It sounds that you might like the Dune series (which I haven't read myself).

I would recommend Kevin J. Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns. Book 1 is titled Hidden Empire. There are 3 books out so far and a 4th coming out July 18th. There is also a Graphic Novel tie-in.

The Ender Saga

You might have read it but I would higly reccomend the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card especially Ender's Game but it concentrates more on the development of the main character rather than the war. OOPS!! there is bugs in the first book (almost all of them get killed anyway and there is only one short encounter with one)

Just a word of warning. If you don't like giant insects and that kind of thing you might want to avoid Armor by John Steakley. The whole first half of the book is basically a giant battle between giant insects and men in bioarmor. Not my cup of tea but it was still fairly entertaining.

Ainulindale said:
You simply cannot go wrong with that choice.
I do agree with that! :D

And even if you don't like Bug wars, go with Starship Troopers. As Wolhay said above, the highlight is on stuff other than the war. It seemed to me that the war with the bugs was kind of secondary whereas in the movie it was the focus. Don't expect the movie when you read the book. You should like it!

Ainulindale said:
You simply cannot go wrong with that choice.
Absolutely agree with Ainulindale here. Forever War is simply excellent.

Armor ranks pretty highly on the Internet Sci Fi and Fantasy Top 100. Probably not too bad a choice.

ds

Try The War Of The Worlds by HG wells, though it is only a "war" obserbed throught the 1st person (the martians are NOT bugs! :D)

Could someone please provide me with an ISBN for forever war?

While I don't think the following recommendation really suits you right now, I'd recommend picking up some of J.G. Ballard's short stories some time. They are highly imaginative, and despite the fact that many of them were written back in the 1960's and 1970's they are still very imaginative today.

Back