• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for books about an isolated/depressed main character

Zolipara said:
Try Ivan Turgenev "Diary of a Superfluous Man".
She doesn't want Eastern European or vintage, gosh! Anyway, I despise Salinger, so I can't help you there...BUT, you can read A Clockwork Orange by Burgess. That's a combo of modern and vintage depression. And its funny.

Miss Misery Here's A Book For You

Dear Mrs. Misery:

I was searching the web today and came across your post. I am a published author. My novel is anticipated to become a bestseller of 2005. The main character has gone through a great deal of emotional turmoil - some based on my own life...it's a story where you can cheer the underdog on. Here is some info on my book...I hope you visit my site. I'd love to send you an autographed copy upon "Tides of Time" release date.

My name is Sonya Kate Childers and my new contemporary novel, "Tides of Time," will be released this June. It is anticipated to become, "a bestseller contender" for 2005. Mercury Records Nashville Recording Artist, Steve Azar is releasing a special CD to be placed in the book. The song is entitled, "Lay Your Heart Next To Mine." I am giving $1.00 of my proceeds for every book sold to St. Jude Children's Hospital in Steve's name.

This month I have been featured on the back cover of Romantic Times Magazine (a nationally syndicated magazine based in New York City). I will be featured on the front cover of RT Magazine this August. Additionally, I appeared in Country Weekly Magazine (p. 55-May issue) with Mr. Azar.

The legendary Joe Franklin, syndicated with the Bloomberg Business Report will plug the book/Steve/St. Jude project on his show. The station manager for KBEQ here in Kansas City has forwarded this story on to Don Imus. Finally, I met with the Hollywood Producers of "A Beautiful Mind" starring Russell Crow. They are in the market for novels to make movies out of.

I have appeared on radio programs and would love to be on yours. Please visit my website at www.SonyaKateChilders.Net for further information. I'd like to discuss my project with country sensation, Steve Azar with you further.

Thank you for your time.

Sonya Kate Childers
816-916-8415
SonyaKate@aol.com
www.SonyaKateChilders.Net

'The Neon Bible' by John Kennedy Toole.. not hard to read at all, he wrote it when he was 16, but its really good, published like 10 years ago or something.

You like depressing characters, eh? You might enjoy my book, Palindrome Hannah. It's full of morbid people who hate and despise life, and whom cross paths with one another as they try to make sense of life. Yeah, this is a plug for my book, but it fits.

I haven't read this book, but it's on my wish list. "A Confederacy of Dunces", by John Kennedy Toole, who committed suicide in 1969. The book was published posthumously by his mother.

From Amazon:

Meet Ignatius J. Reilly, the hero of John Kennedy Toole's tragicomic tale, A Confederacy of Dunces. This 30-year-old medievalist lives at home with his mother in New Orleans, pens his magnum opus on Big Chief writing pads he keeps hidden under his bed, and relays to anyone who will listen the traumatic experience he once had on a Greyhound Scenicruiser bound for Baton Rouge. ("Speeding along in that bus was like hurtling into the abyss.") But Ignatius's quiet life of tyrannizing his mother and writing his endless comparative history screeches to a halt when he is almost arrested by the overeager Patrolman Mancuso--who mistakes him for a vagrant--and then involved in a car accident with his tipsy mother behind the wheel. One thing leads to another, and before he knows it, Ignatius is out pounding the pavement in search of a job.

Over the next several hundred pages, our hero stumbles from one adventure to the next. His stint as a hotdog vendor is less than successful, and he soon turns his employers at the Levy Pants Company on their heads. Ignatius's path through the working world is populated by marvelous secondary characters: the stripper Darlene and her talented cockatoo; the septuagenarian secretary Miss Trixie, whose desperate attempts to retire are constantly, comically thwarted; gay blade Dorian Greene; sinister Miss Lee, proprietor of the Night of Joy nightclub; and Myrna Minkoff, the girl Ignatius loves to hate. The many subplots that weave through A Confederacy of Dunces are as complicated as anything you'll find in a Dickens novel, and just as beautifully tied together in the end. But it is Ignatius--selfish, domineering, and deluded, tragic and comic and larger than life--who carries the story. He is a modern-day Quixote beset by giants of the modern age. His fragility cracks the shell of comic bluster, revealing a deep streak of melancholy beneath the antic humor. John Kennedy Toole committed suicide in 1969 and never saw the publication of his novel. Ignatius Reilly is what he left behind, a fitting memorial to a talented and tormented life. --Alix Wilber

sirmyk said:
You like depressing characters, eh? You might enjoy my book, Palindrome Hannah. It's full of morbid people who hate and despise life, and whom cross paths with one another as they try to make sense of life. Yeah, this is a plug for my book, but it fits.
I'll actually second this recommendation - I'm about half-way through it at the moment and it seems to be exactly what you are looking for.

Back