• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

looking for books about france

scullyx101

i'm thinking about living in france and i want to learn as much as i can about what it's like and i think that reading novels about french people as opposed to travel books would be a much better way to see what french society is like. if anyone knows of a novel that takes place in modern day france that a young woman such as myself might enjoy it would be very helpful. i'm trying to get my hands on "French women don't get fat" because, although it's not a novel, i think it would be very helpful. but i would really like some other suggestions.

Which one?

I am not trying to be nosey. It's just that I've seen enough people moving to other countries without speaking the language and then, they either join their little (or big) expatriate groups or feel very isolated and finish regretting they ever moved.

Learning as much about the country and the language will really help you. It would be good to see the place at its worst; if you still like the idea of living there, then go ahead.
What type of books do you like? Could you give a couple of examples? That would help with the recommendations

yeah, i definately agree. i'm trying to learn as much as i can before i go as well as be fluent in the language, so it will be a few years. but as far as stuff that i like goes, i liked the movies amile, me vie en rose, and chocolat and my very favorite movie ever is moulin rouge. as for books, i'm open to pretty much anything that doesn't have to do with historical or government stuff. i love art and fashion. i'm also a dancer so a book about ballet would really interest me. thanks for all you're help by the way.

Hi scullyx101. Have you considered nipping across the border and visiting Quebec? Although it's culturally different to France and linguistically their French is slightly different, it will give you a little bit of exposure to the idea of being linguistically isolated. Making the move to another country is a big decision, and this might help prevent some of the culture shock.

Can I also ask what you plan to do there? If you are looking to study over there an exchange program could be a good idea. They usually provide support for visiting students in doing basic things (setting up a bank account, finding housing, assisting with courses, etc). If you are looking to work, can you do it via a SWAP program? This also should provide help with basic settup, finding employment and ensuring your visa application is appropriate.

You should also consider taking a French immersion course. I understand that the French government, in an effort to promote and preserve the French language, offer small stipends to anyone taking an in-country French immersion program over 2 months or longer. I don't know any more about this program, unfortunately. A friend of mine did it 2 years ago, though, so it may be worth looking into it. It will help you meet people and I believe they also help with housing. Perhaps try calling your French consulate.

Good luck!

PS: Another movie along the lines of your taste might be Le Divorce. You should also look at some French films (ie: produced in France without foreign input) which will likely give you a more rounded view of the country.

I read a very nice book about people in Paris and it's called The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier by Thad Carhart. It's nonfiction, but it's also a kind of narrative about an American who speaks fluent French living in Paris's Left Bank and becoming friends with the guy who owns the piano repair shop down the street. The author makes a lot of interesting comments about France and Parisians, plus you learn a lot about pianos. Very pleasant read.

If you don't mind going back in time a bit, there's always Hemingway's A Movable Feast that's great to read if you're in Paris too :)

You could try "How I became stupid" by Martin Page. It's the story of a 25-year old who cannot be happy because he is constantly analysing everything. He thinks that if he becomes more stupid, he will enjoy life more. The book follows all the different methods he tries to get it. It's not the same type of humour as Amelie; it's more cynical, but it will give you a better picture of modern France society.

Back