• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for books set in San Francisco

Baddie

I'm looking for recommandation of books set i San Francisco.

It would be great with historical novels (but I also would like to read novels from nowadays).

Thanks in advance.

(I'm going to the USA this summer, and one of the cities I'm visiting is San Francisco)

William Gibson's All Tomorrow's Parties is set in San Fransisco but it's cyberpunk and probably not what you want.

I can't vouch for these but they are set in San Fransisco:

Mama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes. It' about a Norwegian family.

Tales of the Fish Patrol by Jack London

There is a series of mysteries by Dianne Day that are set in the early 1900's, featuring a female detective, that mostly take place in San Francisco. It begins with The Strange Files of Fremont Jones: A Fremont Jones Mystery. I've read some of them, and they're ok. I did enjoy the physical details of San Francisco of the time.

4th of July by James Patterson is set in SF. Not sure if others of the series is also, for I've not read others except for 4th of July.

I'm not sure if you're going to be traveling by automobile, if so Salinas is not too far from SF. Many of Steinbeck's books describe the area near Salinas. i.e.: Of Mice and Men & East of Eden. Cannery Row & Tortilla Flat describes of Monterey, Calif.

If you're near Monterey, then you must visit 17 Mile Drive.

Read the Tales of the City series by Armistead Maupin, I LOVE him! His descriptions of the city are great and his characters are very lovable. I also really dig the Tales of the City movies/miniseries/whatever it was with Laura Linney. How how I would love to live on their Barbary Lane...
Also, I seem to remember The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan being set in San Fran, but I could be wrong.

Back