• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for fantasy books with good villains

Molly7

I love fantasy books, especiall when they are action packed and the characters face some real danger. But one thing that bothers me is the villain. Normally I love the villain, they create the tension and sense of danger in a book. But more often than not they end up being disappointing.

For instance, I like the books that Iris Johansen writes, but every single one of them is a disappointment. Throughout the books you read that the villain is incredibly dangerous and he threatenes the heroine, but at the end she meets him and two pages later he's dead, all of it was just empy threats. In my opinion, in many books the villain gets defeated way too easily. I want to see the heroine (I usually prefer female main characters more than males) in dangerous situations where she only just gets out of.

So onto my question: can any of you recommend some fantasy books with female male characters and acutally dangerous villains?

When I look on goodreads I usually end up looking at the same kind of books I always read, but maybe some of you know some good books that I would never think to look for. I'm interested to hear how you think about the villains, and whether you know some good ones.

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. The lead female faces threats from many dangerous characters throughout; some of the bad guys think they are doing the right thing.

The Mistborn series has a pretty good female protagonist and the main villain is a God-King with nearly unlimited power. I highly recommend it.

Lies of Locke Lamora and its sequels also have really intriguing villains, the main protagonists are a team of con artists in an interesting fantasy setting. Also, the villains are pretty awesome.

Back