• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for good audio books

80Lady

So, I have a bit of an addiction to reading and unfortunately when I have a good book (and I usually am not without one) my other areas in my life suffer. The dished tend to not get done as fast, the laundry takes longer, etc. I'm terrible, I know. So, in a desperate attempt to be more responsible and accomplish more, I turned to audio books. It's great being able to pop in my earphones and go about my work while still enjoying a good book. The only drawback are the narrators. I hate when the women narrators try to sound like a man for the male characters and vice versa. It also bugs me when I feel like the narrator has "interpreted" a character wrong (like the tone used and such) which I know is really nit picky of me, but hey, I just thought I would list all of my complaints.:whistling:

I absolutely love the Harry Potter books and so naturally I bought those books on CD also. I have been totally and completely spoiled by Jim Dale's quality. I have listened to many other books on CD but I haven't found anyone who is able to read a book as beautifully.

So I am appealing to anyone who can help me out in finding some really good audio books with decent narration.

I used to listen to audio books a lot when my fiance and I lived on different sides of town and I would suggest Life of Pi by Yann Martel. It was excellently read and I really enjoyed listening to it. I don't know if you're a fan of Chuck Palaniuk, but I also really enjoyed listening to Diary. You may want to look into the plot of that one though because he tends to be a bit of an aquired taste.

Blackstone Audiobooks also has a great selection. I'm not allowed to post links yet because I'm new around here, so I'll describe the link instead.

1. Type this: Blackstoneaudio
2. At the end, add: dot com
3. At the beginning, add: 3 w's dot

I had to make it vague like that so the forum would accept my message. It actually took a lot of tries to get it to pass.

In any case, that should be enough. Most browsers these days stick the rest on automatically.

Have a good one,

Back