1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking For Headache Inducers

Discussion in 'Book Search & Suggestions' started by AlphaOmegaX, May 6, 2006.

1. ions

ions New Member

Currently Reading:
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
    Took you long enough to chime in :p ;)

2. AlphaOmegaX

AlphaOmegaX New Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing.
    It's official. By the time I finish reading everything you've all listed (probably in a month or so) I won't have a headache. My head will have exploded! Avas, I look forward to reading everything. Thank you all.

~Josh

3. Bernard

Bernard New Member

Currently Reading:
    Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
    If I could add 1 to your list, Blindness - Jose Saramago is quite good.

4. AlphaOmegaX

AlphaOmegaX New Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing.
    Appreciated :)

5. blurricus

blurricus New Member

Currently Reading:
    Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    Beneath the Wheel by Hermann Hesse. It's a book that involves GETTING headaches. Also, it's just a great book which has some thought provoking sections.

6. Libre

Libre Member

Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - Douglas R. Hofstadter.

I just saw this thread. All the books suggested are undoubtedly great thought provokers.
    BUT
    Josh, reading your original post, I believe I have the BEST suggestion by far.
    The book I'm suggesting, is so thought provoking, just reading the forward bent my mind.
    It's amazing. You won't understand all of it - at least, I didn't, and most people are happy if they get even part of it. It's pure genius. It covers so many topics, in such novel ways, that it will open your mind to concepts you didn't know existed. Especially, if you have a scientific/mathmatic/philosophical streak (helpful, although not mandatory).

You're looking for headache inducers?
    Better have a BIG bottle of Excedrin handy.
    Example:
    The following sentence is false.
    The preceeding sentence is true.

If that doesn't get the gray matter churning, then forget this book. But if it does, RUN RIGHT OUT and buy it, with the bottle of Excedrin, right now! (please)

7. mrkgnao

mrkgnao New Member

Currently Reading:
    Mike Carey: The devil you know
    In the fiction department, I'd suggest Umberto Eco (speaking of Foucault... but his is another Foucault), James Joyce (you have to either think or give up), Georges Perec (especially A void), Thomas Pynchon, Italo Calvino, Salman Rushdie... and if you want some much lighter brain teasing, Jasper Fforde :)

I'd second Hofstadter too, even though I haven't read it (it's TBR) on the basis of the great things I've heard about it.

*mrkgnao*

8. MonkeyCatcher

MonkeyCatcher New Member

Currently Reading:
    Superfreakonomics -- Levitt & Dubner
    Definitely try George Orwell - both 1984 and Animal Farm. Wild Swans by Jung Chang is another that made me think. You may also want to try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - it's along the same lines as 1984

9. ions

ions New Member

Currently Reading:
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
    I've leafed through this. Looks interesting but dense. Very dense and kinda dry.

10. actonbell

actonbell New Member

David Foster Wallace's essays are very thought-provoking. His latest collection is called Consider the Lobster. A few years back, he wrote a tome called Infinite Jest, a book that has stimulated much discussion.

11. Libre

Libre Member

Not sure what "dense" means in this context. Difficult to get through? True, it is difficult. That's because it continuously forces you to think outside the box, as they say.
    As far as "dry", well, as I said, if the paradox I gave as an example (called the Epimenides two step paradox, or something close) does nothing for you, you might find it dry. It's loaded with that type of thing.
    I'm addressing the Original Poster's request. 1984, Animal Farm, Hesse, they'll ALL make you think. ANY book worth its ink is going to do that.
    GEB (as it's affectionately called by its legions of followers) induces such mental activity and contortions that it COULD induce headaches. But not painful ones. More in the sense of GROWING PAINS than migrains.

12. AlphaOmegaX

AlphaOmegaX New Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing.
    Wow. Thanks and thanks and...ok? Lastly, Thanks lol.

~Josh

13. unKeMPt

unKeMPt New Member

Currently Reading:
    Rabbit, Run by John Updike
    Ooh, I've just started to read Habermas and Foucault, and I am really digging them. Might wanna look into them, especially if you're into post-modernism.

14. beer good

beer good Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    "NW", Smith
    What might one start with if one wanted to read something by Foucault?

15. Ronny

Ronny Well-Known Member

Currently Reading:
    Dark Places - Gillian Flynn
    I think that's very true, I often find myself still thinking about parts of his stories way after I've finished the book.

16. unKeMPt

unKeMPt New Member

Currently Reading:
    Rabbit, Run by John Updike
    Well, we were reading excerpts from Foucault's work Discipline and Punish, and I was certainly interested by the parts chosen in my books. That's a later work, and I'm afraid I'm not the best person to ask about the best Foucault starting point.

17. AlphaOmegaX

AlphaOmegaX New Member

Currently Reading:
    Nothing.
    Thanks guys! I went to borders and came out with a few books. Going back tommorow :)

~Josh