• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for help finding a book...

Qjakal

Looking for title of a sci-fi book...
This is an obscure novelette. The premise was that your mind was rated at a certain number, and your status in society was reflected by that number. You could move up by challenging numbers above you and besting them in a contest of wills/intellect, at which point your number increased and the loser was under your control. Obviously the 1's, 2's 3's etc did all the menial errand type jobs, while the 80's, 90's etc ruled the world and ducked challenges...lol.

It's pre 1970 (I believe) and most likely out of print. Not even sure why it has been popping into my dreams the past month, but since it's being persistent I think I'm going to at least try to find it...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Q

Not sure...

I'd like to think it will be worth all the effort I'm putting into this search, but I have a feeling that time may have clouded my judgement. Many times the things from my youth that stirred me turn out to be all too insipid upon examination by my current, older, slightly jaded self...sigh.

However, when a memory nags me so persistently I either have to marry it or dispel it...sooooooo...off I go. If anyone has any ideas of other venues to pursue I'd appreciate that help as well.

Q

It has been quite a while, but this sounds distantly similar to Robert Sheckley's "Status Civilization". But not quite. Perhaps it is another of his books.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Bond. Paul Bond.

Nope, but thanks for the attempt and a reminder of a buddy of one of my personal favorites, Zelazny. This is driving me crazy. I even spent money to put the question on a booksearch site...sigh.

Q

Back