• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for Shannara Type

Christopher

Hi everyone,

I've read the all the books of the Shannara series by Terry Brooks and I've loved them. I'm looking for a book or series with a similar fantasy "type" as Terry has. I don't really like the Lord of the rings or dragons and such.

Anyway, suggestions?

Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a great trilogy and is similiar. It does have at least one dragon in it, but that's not the main focus. It's well written and grand in scope. Young boy is forced into an adventure to save the world and becomes a man. It's one of my favorites.

I really liked Robin Hood's Assasin trilogy, although its not exactly Shannara fare :)

Edit: Erm...of course i meant Robin Hobb and not Robin Hood :eek:

Originally posted by phil_t
I really liked Robin Hood's Assasin trilogy, although its not exactly Shannara fare :)

Edit: Erm...of course i meant Robin Hobb and not Robin Hood :eek:

Haha yeah I don't believe I've ever read Robin Hood's stuff :)

I pretty much prefered Hobb, no offence! The other trillogy she's done, the Liveship lot, and her two new ones that are back in the Duchy's- they all link together brilliantly, it's mind-stretching and a bit depressing if you're trying to write yourself! :mad:

Well i finished the Assasin's trilogy last year and went onto the new Fools trilogy straightaway without reading the Liveship series yet - am i missing out on anything by skipping over it?? I heard that some of the characters from Liveship crop up in the latest series, is this correct??

Hell yes! It's...it's..I cannot express how important it is that you stop reading and go back and read the Liveships trilogy first! It's links like a...dammit...like a thing, a thing that links together and you go *boggle*. Like, the film 'The Usual Suspects' (or some other such intricate heist film with a stunning twist) but ten times better.

Missing out.... *tut* :rolleyes:

Yikes!! Well in that case i'll be off to Waterstones first thing in the morning as soon as it opens to buy the whole trilogy - that way i can be caught up by lunch :p

I dont know what the world is coming too, you skip a mesely three books and suddenly you're missing out on things! :eek:

There are two series you really should read that are brilliant and easy to get into like Brooks :)

THe Last Rune series by Mark Anthony - great characters, good twists on magic and interesting bad guys :)

The Banned and The Bannished by James Clemens - a witch story with a difference. A must read.

rune

Back