• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for some author recommendations

Chinaski

Hello,

as the title says, I'm looking for some author recommendations, since I'm slowly but surely running out of books by my favorites.

Here's who I've been reading through.

Bukowski
Capote
R.Ellison - The Invisible Man ( the only book by Ellison I read, but I enjoyed it profoundly)
Kerouac
Heller
Vonnegut

And I've got some books by William S. Burroughs and The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer waiting, but past that my future wish-list is seriously lacking. So if you know some of the authors, enjoyed their work and have some recommendations, I'm looking forward to them.

Thanks in advance.

Manchild In The Promised Land by Claude Brown is excellent. If you liked that Ellison, you will probably like Brown.
Charles Portis is another author you might go for based on some of the others that you seem to like. He is humorous and thought provoking.

Manchild In The Promised Land by Claude Brown is excellent. If you liked that Ellison, you will probably like Brown.
Charles Portis is another author you might go for based on some of the others that you seem to like. He is humorous and thought provoking.

Thank you! I've already ordered "Manchild In The Promised Land" and also "True Grit" by Charles Portis.

You really hit the spot!

Cool. Let me know how you like them. Manchild is one of my all time favorite books so go easy on me if you don't care for it. Lol.
True Grit is an under-appreciated masterpiece.

I see you like Kerouac and Burroughs, so you should also enjoy Allen Ginsberg. If you haven't read it yet you could try "Howl and Other Poems", that is a collection of poetry, Howl in particular is brilliant.
But if you're looking for a book and not poetry, I suggest something of Steinbeck.

Back