• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for stories of people from earth being sent to fantasy worlds

Nebs

As title said, i'm looking for stories about people from our time that are sent to fantasy world either by magic/accident/portals

I love this type of stories and currently reading "the wizardry complied"

I've read many stories, but keep looking for good series or two about someone that went through a door and found themselves in the wilderness with a dragon up in the air above them :p

I love long book, the biggest the better

Thanks in advance

How about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and Coraline? Also American Gods ... Neil Gaiman really likes these kinds of stories.

Stephen King's Dark Tower series has a lot of this too. And it's about 3,500 pages or so all in all.

The Faerie series by Herbie Brennan is a hilarious take at the subject matter.

Or, an old classic, Michael Ende's "Neverending Story" (which is so much better than the movie).

A princess of mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. A fantasy about a dead man, who is brought back to life, in Mars. Beginning was quite interesting, read a few pages last year.

Anathem by Neal Stephenson, quite a huge one, with almost 900 pages, dedicated to people living in Mathic Age. Though, I am not quite able to grasp the full import and may not finish it anytime soon. But, seems quite a good one, if you are interested in alternate world/reality.

GoldenWitchBreed Mary Gentle

Julian May - Galactic Milieu and Pliocene Exiles

Neanderthal Parallax (possible more sci fi than fantasy but still excellent) - Robert J. Sawyer

Pern - Anne McCaffrey

Shannara - Terry Brooks (reads like straight up fantasy but if you read the Shannara Prelude books you discover it is a post-apocalyptic world on earth)

Out of the Silent Planet Trilogy - CS Lewis.

The Tower and the Hive Series - Anne McCaffrey

Xanth Series - Piers Anthony

Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold - Terry Brooks

Amber Series - Roger Zelazny (well the fantasy folks come here and mingle with us ordinary folks)

Piers Anthony's Adept series, and L Sprague deCamp's Enchanter series about Harold Shea also fit the bill.
Maybe Michael Swanwick's 'The Iron Dragon's Daughter'?

Back