• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Looking for suggestions on books to buy

ParadoxicalRae

Hey everyone! Just like the title says, I'm looking for suggestions of books to buy.
On Feb. 12 the public library is having its annual Book Lover's Sale for one day. The sale takes place in the basement of the biggest library in town, and there's always a very good selection.
I've only been to this book sale a few times (they only have the sale twice a year), and I want to be prepared this time--which brings me to the point of this thread. If anyone can offer any suggestions of buy-worthy books or authors, I'd really appreciate it. And just so you know what sort of things I'd like: I'm a 19-year-old female who likes sci-fi, fantasy, a little horror, vampires, survival books, history, anthropology, archaeology, some poetry, Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, and some poetry. Some of my favorite authors/books are: Margaret Atwood, the Titan trilogy by John Varley, M.T. Anderson, 1984 , Sappho, Gregory Maguire, Dracula, Anne Rice, and...well, I'm sure there are others, but I think this should help everyone get an idea of what I like.
Thanks for your help, everyone!

ParadoxicalRae said:
Hey everyone! Just like the title says, I'm looking for suggestions of books to buy.
On Feb. 12 the public library is having its annual Book Lover's Sale for one day. The sale takes place in the basement of the biggest library in town, and there's always a very good selection.
I've only been to this book sale a few times (they only have the sale twice a year), and I want to be prepared this time--which brings me to the point of this thread. If anyone can offer any suggestions of buy-worthy books or authors, I'd really appreciate it. And just so you know what sort of things I'd like: I'm a 19-year-old female who likes sci-fi, fantasy, a little horror, vampires, survival books, history, anthropology, archaeology, some poetry, Joan of Arc, Alexander the Great, and some poetry. Some of my favorite authors/books are: Margaret Atwood, the Titan trilogy by John Varley, M.T. Anderson, 1984 , Sappho, Gregory Maguire, Dracula, Anne Rice, and...well, I'm sure there are others, but I think this should help everyone get an idea of what I like.
Thanks for your help, everyone!

hmm... here are people who can definitive help you!! and i'm not one of them!!:D

but when you like poetry try william blake or emily dickinson!! that's the kind i like!! :)

try to get the other books from bram stoker (always wanted to read jewel of the seven stars), also try to get "my first two thousand years", and anything they have from irving wallace

A few ideas

Hmmm.....I have analyzed your tastes and would suggest the following:

Hyperion by Dan Simmons
The Ring of Five Dragons by Eric Van Lustbader
Hidden Empire by Kevin J. Anderson
The Relic by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
The Keep by F. Paul Wilson

Thank you for the help so far, everyone! I'll be sure to write down these book titles and check them out. The sale's this Saturday--I can't wait!

Back